Opening the Second Window in the Lavender and Lovage Advent Calendar, Mulled Wine with Sloe Gin

~ The Second of December ~
Opening the Second Window
in the
Lavender and Lovage Advent Calendar,
Mulled Wine
with
Sloe Gin

December 2nd
2011

Window number two is a
Glass Peacock

Mulled Wine
with
Sloe Gin

An easy mulled wine recipe for the festive season, brimming with Christmassy spice and a kick of sloe gin.

Ingredients:

• 1 bottle red wine
  • 60g/2oz demerara sugar
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • grated nutmeg
  • 1 orange, halved
  • 1 dried bay leaf
  • 60ml/2fl oz sloe or damson gin

Method:

1. Put the wine in a saucepan with the orange, sugar, bayleaf and the spices.
    2. Heat gently until the sugar has dissolved. Taste to see if you want the wine sweeter, and add more sugar to taste.
    3. Off the heat, stir in the sloe or damson gin.
    4. Strain into heatproof glasses and serve at once.

Everyone needs a glass of mulled wine at

Christmas, as well as a Glass Peacock……

See you later.

Comments

1. A Trifle Rushed says

What a great idea, a glug of sloe gin added to mulled wine. Perfect to come home to after a long winter's walk!

2. Dom at Belleau Kitchen says

what a lovely idea to add to the classic drink… I know what i'm having on Christmas Eve!!… and i forgot to open my second window today!!!

3. Choclette says

You wicked temptress – it looks so inviting and adding the sloe gin has got to make it even better AND I want a glass of it right now – pleeeeeeeaaaaaaase!

4. Laura@howtocookgoodfood says

That is such a good idea, but I don't have any sloe gin. Must borrow some from our neighbours immediately!

5. Laura@howtocookgoodfood says

6. Lauren says

I've never seen any sloes here, but next year I need to keep an eye out for the damsons and make some gin! I love a good mulled wine.

7. Mark Whittaker says

Starting to really plan for christmas eating at the moment . Will start cake next week. I love mulled wine…it really is the scent and taste of the season in a glass. I will definitely be trying your twist on the original . I have got some sloe gin from two three years ago that will do very nicely