Bubble and Squeak
(Traditional British Fried Leftovers)
- Leftover mashed potatoes, boiled potatoes or leftover roast potatoes, diced
- Leftover cooked cabbage or leftover cooked Brussels sprouts, finely chopped
- 2 ounces butter
- black pepper
- carrots, diced (optional)
- Mix the cabbage or sprouts with the mashed or diced cooked potatoes (and carrots if using) and season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Heat the butter in a large frying pan, add the vegetable and potato mixture.
- Fry over a medium heat for about 8 to 10 minutes or until it is brown, and the bubble and squeak sizzles, bubbles and squeaks…..sorry, could not resist that.
- Serve with eggs and bacon for breakfast, or bread and butter for a light snack or supper dish. This is also wonderful as an accompaniment to stews, pies and casseroles.