The New Tea Time Treats Challenge for March – SCONES! Savoury and Sweet

The New Tea Time Treats Challenge for March

Scones are the mainstay of a Cream Tea

SCONES!

Savoury and Sweet

Fresh Fruit Scones - just out of the oven

Happy St David’s Day and welcome to the NEW Tea Time Treats baking blog challenge for March, which is, SCONES!

Scones, the mainstay of a cream tea……easy and cheap to make and best eaten warm; who doesn’t love these light little morsels. In this March Tea Time Treats challenge you can make ANY type of scones (or American style Biscuits) to enter.

Kate and I will be waiting at the tea time table to devour sweet or savoury scones and the possibilities are endless. You can make Cheese Scones, Cheese & Chutney Scones, Cheese and Onion Scones, Wholemeal Scones, Tomato Scones or how about Dried Fruit Scones, Cherry Scones, Lemon Scones, Ginger Scones, Blueberry Scones or Spice Scones…….just BRING em’ on!

Scones with strawberry jam and cream for a cream tea

The choice is yours and what a LARGE choice there is too explore.  Rock Cakes, Fat Rascals, Scottish Drop Scones and other regional British scones are MOST welcome……..we would love to see some more unusual ideas for scones too – maybe scones that have been baked to accompany savoury meals as well as the usual cream tea!  I have quite a few scones recipes posted on my blog if you need some ideas, both savoury and sweet…..

Wallace and Grommet and Cheese and Chive Scones

So, what are you waiting for, get your rolling pins dusted off and your scone cutters oiled and let’s BAKE SCONES! OH yes, and don’t forget that Mothering Sunday is the 18th March this year, so why not make your mum some scones for a cream tea?!

Please take time to read through the rules and guidelines below and do not hesitate to contact us if you need to know more about this event and how to participate. So, all that remains for us to say is, have fun and LET’S BAKE!

Tea Time Treats Rules and Guidelines:

• Post your recipe on your blog with a link to Lavender and Lovage followand What Kate Bakedfollow, mention the relevant month’s host and attach the Tea Time Treats logo as shown on the event page.

• Add Tea Time Treats in your blog post as a label/tag.

• The recipe can be one of your own or one you’ve seen elsewhere.  You are welcome to republish old recipes/posts but please add the information about this challenge.

• Please be as creative with the theme as you like.

• If you put your post on twitter please mention @KarenBurnsBooth @katecakeandbake and #teatimetreats in your message and we will retweet all those we see.

• You do not need to enter every month to join in with the challenge.

• Your post can be submitted for other blogging challenges, just make sure this complies with the rules of the other challenge.

• VIP: Please email your entries to: teatimetreatschallenge@yahoo.co.uk by the 28th of the month. A round up of each month’s entries will be posted by the 1st of the month on the relevant host’s blog.

About Scones:
The pronunciation of the word within the United Kingdom varies. According to one academic study, two-thirds of the British population pronounce it /ˈskɒn/, rhyming with “con” and “John”, with the preference rising to 99% in the Scottish population. This is also the pronunciation of both Australians and Canadians. Other regions, particularly the United States, pronounce the word as /ˈskoʊn/, rhyming with “cone” and “Joan”. British dictionaries usually show the “con” form as the preferred pronunciation, while recognizing that the “cone” form also exists.
The difference in pronunciation is alluded to in the poem which contains the lines:
“I asked the maid in dulcet toneTo order me a buttered sconeThe silly girl has been and goneAnd ordered me a buttered scone.”
The Oxford English Dictionary reports that the first mention of the word was in 1513. The word scone derives perhaps from the Middle Dutch schoonbrood (fine white bread), from schoon (pure, clean) and brood (bread).
The word scone may also derive from the Gaelic term “sgonn” meaning a shapeless mass or large mouthful. The Middle Low German term “Schönbrot” meaning fine bread may also have played a role in the origination of this word. Or, perhaps, the word is based on the town of Scone, Scotland.
Terms such as “Rock Cakes”, “Fat Rascals”, and “Singing Hinnies” are also other terms for what others refer to as a scone.
(Wikipedia)

Comments

And what about chocolate scones???? Guess what I’ll be making. Great challenge Karen, love scones. Only Wikipedia doesn’t know what it;’s talking about – rock cakes are NOT scones – oh no, they sit in a category all of their own. And I guess your challenge is going to bring the old jam before cream debate on. Oh what fun, I want a cream tea right now.

I knew you would make chocolate scones! Have to admit to being in the middle on this one Choclette, I think of rock cakes as being a scone type bake too…not a PURE scone but a scone type! But I am always open to cheating anyway!

Excellent challenge, scones have been on my to-bake list for a while. I will be representing Cornwall with the cream firmly dolloped on top of the jam – there really is only one right way!

My English father always said ‘scone’ rhyming with cone, I never knew why !! I thought is might be a geographical thing. Also – this might be a silly question but in the list of rules what does VIP stand for, obviously not Very Important Person in this case.

Oh my, my… I do love me some scones! Here on the Canadian East Coast the pronunciation is quite split. I hear both versions of the word all the time, but was never really sure which was correct! I absolutely adore etymology, so thanks for including that history.

I have a scone recipe I’ve been itching to try, so I hope I can finally participate in your Tea Time Treats challenge! xo

Yes, we Americans practically all say “scone” to rhyme with “cone.” Pronouncing it the other way produces a lot of blank stares! Also scones here are much more like cake than bread (like what we would call a muffin). Not very authentic! Anyway, I’ve been wanting to make some rosemary scones, so I’ll definitely have to get to it!

Karen, your post are always so beautiful and this is a stunner! LOVE scones – reminds me on growing up in England etc, etc – I’m going to attempt to link up – I have a nice scone recipe!!
    Mary x

That’s right Mary – make some scones and blog about them, link up to the event and then email me the link so I can showcase you and the recipe in the monthly round up!

What a gorgeous site. So excited that I have found you. A Canadian here across the pond that is passionate about British baking. Excited to be part of this month’s Tea Time Challenge!

WELCOME Linda! LOVELY to meet you and I am so pleased you like my blog! I am looking forward to seeing what you make for Tea Time Treats! Karen

A great idea to have scones as this month’s challenge, Karen. There’s so many to choose from.
    One question, did I read somewhere that we had to click on a link instead of e-mailing you? Tachnology and I’m not very good friends!!

What a fab blog event, I’m actually in the process of writing a butter & scone post (make your own butter, then use the butter & buttermilk to make scones), but as it’s more about the butter than the scone I guess it isn’t quite suitable to enter? On another note…Singing hinnies are a type of scone? I feel I must challenge that one :) – Singing Hinnies are made with a dough but they are flat like a pancake, and cooked on a griddle or in a frying pan, not baked. I fell in love with them as a child holidaying in Northumberland, but can’t say I’d ever heard of anyone linking them to the scone family before!

Thanks Emma!
      I see Singin’ Hinnies as a griddle scone, as the dough is the same as a scone but cooked a different way….griddle scones are VERY popular in Scotland and the North of England, and a wonderful alternative to the more conventionally oven bakes scones! So, for me and us Northerners, definitely a scone!
      YES please, DO enter your fabulous sounding home-made butter and buttermilk scones, they would be a perfect entry for this month’s challenge!