Tea Time Random Recipes
A DOUBLE the Fun Cooking & Baking Challenge for September!
It’s official, the announcement that you have all been waiting for has arrived, Tea Time Treats and Random Recipes have come together for ONE crazy, glorious and fun-filled month – it’s an attempt to take over the world, and I TRULY think that Dashing Dom, from Belleau Kitchen (master creator of Random Recipes), Kate from What Kate Baked (my co-hostess with mostess) and I, that’s Karen from Lavender and Lovage, aka the Tea Time Treats Babes, are going to do it - so, watch out for 30 days of unbridled
passion baking and cooking! It’s going to be BIG, very BIG and VERY tasty! We have concocted a BRILLIANT blogging challenge for you all, and I am sure that you are going to LOVE what we have up our culinary sleeves…….
Tea Time…….the usual image that is conjured up, is that of cakes, scones, biscuits and a big pot of tea…….but, tea time in the UK and Ireland, is NOT just cakes, in fact I still call my main meal in the evening “Tea”. “High Tea” (often confused for “Afternoon Tea”, which is also called “Low Tea”, as it was often served in the parlour whilst sat on dainty chairs and was served on what we call “coffee tables” now ) is in fact the correct term for most working class people’s main evening meal, (often followed by supper, which is later in the evening, and was often just a hot drink with toast ) and was a substantial meal – cakes, bread, butter and scones were served, but the main emphasis was on a hearty hot meal that could be boiled eggs, bacon and eggs, pies, stews, ham, salad, baked potatoes, hotpots and casseroles, as well as soup.
So, what we want you to do, is GRAB all your Tea Time Books, or books that have a lovely Tea Time Section, and then do the RANDOM RECIPE thing, here are Dom’s rules to help you along…….
1. take all your TEA TIME cook books off the shelf and shuffle them ( a friendly giant will help)
2. close your eyes and run your fingers down their spines and stop at a random book
3. now, close your eyes again and randomly open the chosen book at a page
4. cook this dish (if it’s something you’ve cooked before then turn to the very next page and cook that dish)… and don’t cheat… (do it with a friend in the room who will make you stick to it…) it’s a challenge after all and you’re only cheating yourself… this is specifically designed to take you out of your comfort zone…!
Here’s one of mine that I grabbed…..
HOWEVER, don’t forget that there are many other books that will have tea time recipes, such as regional cookbooks, Farmhouse cookbooks and baking books too……Dom and I are looking for any RANDOM recipe that can be adapted for tea, any tea, Afternoon Tea OR High Tea, ANY RECIPE that you think befits this wonderful of British and Irish institutions! BRING them on……..
It’s FAB isn’t it? A GREAT idea and we are SO excited about our joint venture! Here are the combined rules again, so you KNOW what you are doing!
Tea Time Random Recipes Rules:
…… as usual the rules are simple:
1 – select a book or collection of books that best represent what YOU think of as tea time food
2 – randomly select a cook book from the collection
3 – open the cook book to a random page
4 – cook the exact recipe on that page… do NOT cheat… you are only cheating yourself
5 – you may adapt the recipe for health/dietary/product availability purposes only
7 – include the wonderful hybrid tea time treats / random recipes badge in the post
8 – use the special linky tool at the bottom of this post to join in, you will find one at the bottom of Dom’s blog post too and if you link here it will show on his page also… the genius of the internet eh?
9 – challenge deadline is Sept 29th and a fully written round-up shall appear on both our blogs on the 30th
10. If you put your post on twitter please mention @belleaukitchen, @KarenBurnsBooth and #teatimerandomrecipes in your message and we will retweet all those we see.
11. Your post can be submitted for other blogging challenges, just make sure this complies with the rules of the other challenge.
Karen and Dom
(Blog Challenge Mistress and Master!)
Last month’s Round-Up for Tea Time Treats is HERE.
Last month’s Round-Up for Random Recipes is HERE.