Kenwood Christmas Menu: Christmas Pudding Chocolate Spread and Spiced Quince & Cranberry Chutney

Kenwood Titanium Chef

Kenwood Titanium Chef

Kenwood Christmas Menu:

Christmas Pudding Chocolate Spread

and

Spiced Quince & Cranberry Chutney

Christmas arrived early last week, a VERY large and VERY heavy parcel was delivered to me, all wrapped in Christmas paper and with a card, just for me, from Kenwood. To say that I was ecstatic would be an understatement, I was very, very pleased and very, very excited! I knew that a Titanium Kenwood Chef was being sent to me, but I didn’t quite believe it until it was lugged into my house by two burly men……and there it sits on my kitchen work surface, all shiny, silver, gleaming and new, and all mine!  I am one of five very lucky food bloggers who are taking part in The Kenwood Christmas Menu – a wonderfully festive and seasonal campaign where we create tasty and exciting recipes, with the aid of our Kenwood Chef’s and share them with you. The other four Kenwood Christmas Menu Chefs are: Beth from Jam and Clotted Cream, Sian from Fishfingers for Tea, Becs from Lay the Table and Eliza from The Recipe Blog.  Don’t worry if you forget who we all are, because we are sharing our recipes and Kenwood Christmas Menu posts in every post we publish, just look for the live links at the bottom of this and all future Christmas menu pages.

Spiced Quince & Cranberry Chutney

Spiced Quince & Cranberry Chutney

Over the next four Mondays I’ll be sharing some wonderfully seasonal recipes with you, with serving suggestions for accompaniments, puddings and desserts, the main event as well as some ideas for home-made gifts. Today’s post is titled “Getting Ready” and I am sharing TWO of my favourite recipes for delicious wintry treats in the run up to Christmas, which are also perfect for gift giving,  Christmas Pudding Chocolate Spread and Spiced Quince & Cranberry Chutney.

Christmas Pudding Chocolate Spread

Christmas Pudding Chocolate Spread

Both of these recipes are very easy to make, and the Kenwood Chef was invaluable in the preparation of both of them. I used the Food Processor attachment to chop the quinces, apples and onions (for the chutney), making it a breeze as quinces are so hard to cut by hand; then I used the K-Beater (in the bowl) to mix my butter, chocolate and sugar together for the chocolate spread -  the mixture was so light and fluffy as I let the machine mix and beat it for about 5 minutes. I love making chutney and make lots throughout the year depending on what seasonal fruit and vegetables I have to hand, but, I HATE chopping the orchard fruits, especially quinces, so I was delighted at how quickly everything was chopped, plus, the food processor was extremely quiet too.

Spiced Quince and Cranberry Chutney

Spiced Quince and Cranberry Chutney

I am rather pleased with my Spiced Quince and Cranberry Chutney – it is such a pretty colour, and although chutney normally needs to mature for about one month (so this is the perfect time to make chutney for Christmas and the New Year), a wee tasting trial with a hunk of cheese and some home-made bread, told me that this mellow and aromatic chutney would be good to eat in about two weeks time, as it was not harsh and was beautifully fragrant and fruity with the cardamom making a stealthy but aromatic appearance on the tongue…...it made a perfect and very well-behaved partner to my rather raunchy mature farmhouse Cheddar cheese. If you manage to make a batch of this chutney now, you can steal a pot or two before Christmas, and indulge in some pre-festive feasting…….go on, you have my permission! The recipe is below and I do hope that you manage to get some quinces to have a go at making this exotic preserve…….then, just dollop it on cheese, smear it on hams or dally with it when spread on cheese on toast…..

Spiced Quince and Cranberry Chutney

Serves Makes about 2.7kg (6lbs)
Prep time 30 minutes
Cook time 1 hour
Total time 1 hour, 30 minutes
Dietary Vegetarian
Meal type Breakfast, Condiment, Lunch, Side Dish, Snack
Misc Gourmet, Pre-preparable, Serve Cold
Occasion Casual Party, Christmas, Formal Party, Thanksgiving
Region British
By author Karen S Burns-Booth
A beautifully vibrant, aromatic and lightly spiced chutney that is perfect for the Christmas cheeseboard or charcuterie platter, as well as dolloped in to curries, stews and casseroles. Makes a perfect Christmas gift and if you have an abundance of quinces, use all quince and omit the apples, but do keep the cranberries in for colour.

Ingredients

• 900g (2lb) quince peeled and cored and roughly chopped (I used my Kenwood Food Processor)
  • 900g (2lb) Bramley apples, cored and roughly chopped (I used my Kenwood Food Processor)
  • 2 onions, peeled and finely diced (I used my Kenwood Food Processor)
  • 900ml (11/2 pint) cider apple vinegar
  • 250g (9oz) cranberries (fresh or frozen)
  • 2cm (1/2 in) piece fresh root ginger, peeled and finely grated
  • 1 tablespoon ground ginger
  • 2 teaspoons mixed spice
  • 1 tablespoon cardamom seeds
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 900g (2lb) light muscovado sugar

Note

A beautifully vibrant, aromatic and lightly spiced chutney that is perfect for the Christmas cheeseboard or charcuterie platter, as well as dolloped in to and on curries, stews and casseroles. Makes a perfect Christmas gift and if you have an abundance of quinces, use all quince and omit the apples, but do keep the cranberries in for colour.

Directions

Step 1 Put the quince, apples and onions into a large saucepan and then add half the vinegar and bring it all to the boil. Simmer for about 10 minutes until the fruits and onion are just soft.
Step 2 Add the remaining vinegar and ingredients. Bring back to the boil and simmer gently without the lid for about 30 minutes or until the chutney has reduced and the consistency is fairly thick – you should be able to draw a spoon over the bottom and leave a trail that doesn’t fill with liquid.
Step 3 Pour into sterilised jars, seal whilst hot and label.
Spiced Quince and Cranberry Chutney

Spiced Quince and Cranberry Chutney

My Christmas Pudding Chocolate Spread is a veritable indulgent delight  - melted chocolate is whipped up (to a frenzy!) with butter, dark sugar, mixed spices, citrus peel, dried fruits and brandy, for a decadent treat, which brings risqué to the breakfast table when served with toast and danger to the teatime table when serve with buttery shortbread biscuits.……it’s quite simply divine darlinks! It’s a shame that you can’t see the added fruit and nuts in the photos, but you can certainly taste them, and now and then you get a rather seductive glimpse of them as they reveal themselves when spread on buttery brioche or other yeasty chocolate spread vehicles.

Christmas Pudding Chocolate Spread

Christmas Pudding Chocolate Spread

This naughty spread keeps for up to a month in the fridge, and just like my Spiced Quince and Cranberry Chutney, it makes a wonderful gift, especially when accompanied by some home-made shortbread or maybe some biscotti…….you can vary the dried fruits to suit, but, there is something very nostalgic and comforting about dried mixed fruit such as sultanas, currants and raisins (with mixed peel) when added to Christmas baking and preserving, along with a generous slug of brandy too…….or whatever poison takes your fancy, and the mixed spice gives it warm and fragrant scent and flavour, it’s a winning recipe and the longer the sugar and butter with the melted chocolate can be mixed, the better, you will end up with a light and fluffy spread, and so much better than that sickly sweet chocolate and nut spread……..you know the one, the one that starts with an “N”! Anyway, the recipe is below, so, why not whip up a batch this week, in readiness for generous gift-giving or greedy gourmet sessions with a spoon at the ready, whilst lurking by the fridge……

Christmas Pudding Chocolate Spread

Serves 2 x 350ml jars
Prep time 5 minutes
Cook time 10 minutes
Total time 15 minutes
Dietary Vegetarian
Meal type Breakfast, Condiment, Dessert, Side Dish, Snack
Misc Gourmet, Pre-preparable, Serve Cold
Occasion Birthday Party, Christmas, Formal Party, Thanksgiving, Valentines day
Region British
By author Karen S Burns-Booth
This spiced Christmas pudding chocolate spread recipe can also be made with milk or white chocolate and is best served with biscuits, brandy snaps, scones, shortbread biscuits or warm toasted brioche. It also makes a fabulous filling and topping for cakes. Perfect for a simple Christmas spread to give as a gift - decorate with a label and a pretty paper "hat".

Ingredients

• 200g unsalted butter, softened
  • 250g light muscovado sugar
  • 4 tbsp brandy
  • 2 tspn mixed spice
  • 150g plain chocolate, melted
  • 150g mixed fruit and peel
  • 50g glacé cherries, roughly chopped (red, yellow and green cherries)
  • 50g flaked almonds, toasted

Note

Directions

Step 1 Beat the butter and light muscovado sugar together until smooth - I used my Kenwood mixer and the K-Beater. Beat in the brandy to taste, then fold in the melted plain chocolate and mixed spice. Chill for 15 minutes.
Step 2 Fold the rest of the ingredients through the chocolate butter mixture. Spoon into 2 x cooled sterilised 350ml sealable jars, then seal and store in the fridge. Once opened, it should be used within 1 month.
Christmas Pudding Chocolate Spread

Christmas Pudding Chocolate Spread

I hope you have enjoyed my first Kenwood Christmas Menu post; look out for three more posts with all sorts of delicious recipe ideas; and of course, you don’t have to have a Titanium Kenwood Chef to make any of these recipes, although it has helped me tremendously, but a trusty paring knife and a hand mixer will also do the same job, albeit slower. I LOVE reading your comments, so PLEASE do leave a comment if you like what you read, or want to ask me a question…….it really is the icing on the cake for me and I always reply! Have a wonderful week, see you later, Karen

~ Sponsored Post ~

(I received a Kenwood Titanium Chef in order to create recipes as part of the Kenwood Christmas Menu Blogger Challenge)

Spiced Quince & Cranberry Chutney

Spiced Quince & Cranberry Chutney

Christmas Pudding Chocolate Spread

Christmas Pudding Chocolate Spread

Do you like to get ahead with preserves and gifts in jars for Christmas and the New Year?

What are your favourite recipes to make?

Comments

Lovely post Karen! What a treat having Kenwood Chef, wow! That Christmas pudding chocolate spread sounds amazing! I don’t think I could be trusted not to eat it all myself.

I made something similar to your Christmas pudding spread last year for Vanessa’s Christmas event, though mine was called florentine butter and had little biscuits to go with it. Not quite so much spice, but rather more brandy (!) (yes, I know, there would be wouldn’t there?). I thought at the time it was very like a grown up ‘N’ spread, but since I like it (and brandy) I was quite happy with that;)

But I’m interested in how it turns out if you beat more (I didn’t have a stand mixer at the time).

No quinces for me this year but the chutney sounds fab. Lovely mixture of flavours.

Looking forward to more Christmas ideas.

OH yes, I DO remember there was a Florentine butter on the table Fiona, as I was interested in what was in it, given that we have this Christmas pudding recipe for luxury spread! I would probably add more brandy myself, but felt I had to be constrained for the good of the general public! :-)

By beating it for a long time, it is like a whipped mousse type of spread and very light…..not as cloying at the “N” spread!

As for the quince chutney, I will try to bring a jar down for you when I see you next month, or even a quince or two, if I can keep them until then!

Thanks so much for your comments, I have a trip to Tuscany booked, via London Unattached, as soon as my bread is made and I have time to sit down and visit my favourite blogs!

The chutney looks really delicious. But the chocolate xmas pud spread well there’s heaven!!
    I’ll be making my xmas puds this week and plan to blog the recipe so will link up when done and look at others on the linky.

Thanks Su, as I mentioned on Twitter, this is a Kenwood Blogger contest for five bloggers, of which I am one, but do LET me know on twitter so I can come over to see your lovely puddings anyway!!

What an amazing new addition to your kitchen, it looks huge! Both recipes look fab but it would be hard not to hide behind the door of the fridge with a spoon and that chocolate Christmas pudding spread!

Wow you are so lucky to be testing this beautiful Kenwood out. Bet you have tons more recipes to share and you have got me into the festive spirit with this rich chutney and wonderful spiced chocolate spread. I bet Christmas at your house will be a food lovers heaven!

I know I am lucky Laura, I keep stroking it as I walk past……..:-) I was so pleased with the performance of it too, the food processor was a dream to use and much quicker and quieter than my old magimix! Karen

I LOVE Christmas too, and the lovely ladies and gents (I think there are gents in the office) at the Kenwood PR centre wrapped the box up in Christmas paper and also sent a card too, a nice touch I thought! Karen

6. Melanie says

Love the sound of your special Christmas chocolate spread. I know you said that it would keep for a month in the fridge – is that once it is open or is that it’s total shelf life from first making it? I thought I might make some as presents but I don’t want to make them too early! Thank you, I will look forward to the future Kenwood blogs with anticipation…

Thanks Melanie! The chocolate spread keeps for a month in the fridge from making, but, with so much brandy in it and butter, I have kept it for 5 weeks before. But, a good time to make some, would be about 2 weeks before Christmas, so the spices and brandy have a chance to meld together…..I am so pleased that you have enjoyed my first post, I can’t wait to share my recipes with you next Monday – the theme next week is “Preparing the pud” – You need to make sure the pudding has enough time to drink up all that brandy. Do you prefer pudding, or cake – or something else entirely? What are your best recipes for that extra special Christmas dessert? Karen :-)

I am so very jealous of your wonderful Kenwood… my mum still has her 1970′s Kenwood which is still going strong!… love love love all the jams and chutney’s it’s a fab thing to do and I look forward to all your recipes. I’ve added my hot tomato jam to the linky tool too! now I think I may have to churn up some of that naughty chocolate spread!

Thanks Dom, I still cannot believe that I have a Kenwood Chef, I didn’t have a stand mixer before it arrived, and I know I am very lucky. My mum still has her 1960′s Kenwood, and won’t let go of it, no need now though!! I LOVE that hot tomato jam – isn’t it part of your winning Capricorn cheese recipe?

Thanks Sian! I was only going to make one recipe, but it was such a cinch to whizz up a bit of chocolate spread in the Kenwood, that I thought, why not!

Wow! A Kenwood mixer and loads of attachments, by the look of it! I have a Major with a little bit bigger bowl and I just adore it. You are going to have such fun! The spread and chutney both look delicious. I can’t wait to see all of the other lovely things you turn out.

Thanks Stacy, I love it already, it is easy to use, easy to clean and so quiet! I am already plotting and planning a bread making session with the bread (dough) hook, as well as a cake making day, so many possiblities, how did I ever manage without it……..Karen

Great to see the Kenwood chef is being put to good use! That chutney looks absolutely delicious – just need to find a source of quinces now…

Are there none to be found in any local farm shops Sarah? I saw some in Malton a little while ago, in Paleys at the top of the town near the Milton rooms! Karen

10. Susie @ Fold in the Flour says

Mmm, perfect recipes – love the sound of the Christmas pudding spread. Look forward to seeing what else you come up with in your new toy – bet they’ll be fab! :)

This machine,Titanium Kenwood Chef , looks fantastic Karen…and the recipes are just perfect for Christmas. The Spiced Quince and Cranberry Chutney is my favourite. Thank you for sharing Karen

It is an amazing machine Rita, I am quite in love with it! The chutney is also my favourite of the two recipes I created, as I am a savoury kinda gal, but, I have to say that the chocolate spread is also growing on me, as I have had QUITE a few spoons of it now! :-) Karen

The chutney sounds absolutely delicious. I love a good chutney, especially at Christmas, and this one uses Cranberries which I adore. Sadly I cannot get the main ingredients here so have set aside the recipe for future reference!

As for the Christmas Pudding Chocolate Spread – that is on my to do list for next week. Technically I am on a diet and not allowed such things but I do have weekends off.

Thanks Eliza, I was very pleased with the way the chutney turned out, and the colours were gorgeous. I am very surprised that you cannot get quinces in Spain, I always think of them as being a very Spanish fruit!

Yes, the chocolate spread was easy to make and pretty lush – we tried one pot already!

Looking forward to seeing what you Come up with next week!

Quinces (membrillos) are in abundance across Spain but, rather strangely, not available here at the moment :) Dulce or Carne de Membrillo is in all the stores ironically :)

Cranberries are in short supply though

Yes, I thought so Eliza! I make Membrillo every year, as I am lucky enough to have a quince tree and we love it with Manchego cheese, well, with all cheeses actually,

Both of those recipes look gorgeous, especially the chutney! I’m curious as to where you found your quinces? I’ve had absolutely no luck in tracking any down.

Thanks Debbie, I am lucky enough to have a quince tree in my garden, which, is very prolific! You should be able to find quinces in Turkish or Middle Eastern supermarkets or even large supermarkets.

14. Bunny says

Hi, Your chutney looks amazing! I have never seen quinces in my part of the world (the Canadian prairies). Can you suggest a substitution? Thanks.
    PS Love your blog

15. Judith Allen says

The quince and cranberry chutney looks and sounds wonderful, what a good idea. I’ve never made anything with quince, just admired the fruits, but I’ll have to remember this for later in the year.