Magic Microwave Mug Cakes, Welsh Cakes and Custard Tarts

Traditional Welsh Cakes

Traditional Welsh Cakes

Magic Microwave Mug Cakes, Welsh Cakes and Custard Tarts

Almond and Vanilla Custard Tarts

Almond and Vanilla Custard Tarts

As well as writing and creating recipes for Lavender and Lovage, I also write for several other websites, magazines and publications, and I am a regular contributor for Great British Chefs, a fabulous high quality website that promotes British chefs through their recipes with videos and regular hangouts. I try to add all of my published work to my About Me page, but such is the volume of work I am undertaking lately, there isn’t the time (or space!) to add any of my recent work, so, I thought it would be nice to share some of my most recent recipes and articles in a dedicated blog post.

Magic Microwave Mug Cakes with Apple & Syrup

Magic Microwave Mug Cakes with Apple & Syrup

With St David’s Day fast approaching, the 1st March, I thought it would be nice to promote one of my latest recipes on Great British Chefs, Traditional Welsh Cakes. The recipe I shared was a much-loved and much-used recipe from one of my vintage Be-Ro cookbooks, of which I have featured on Lavender and Lovage in the past in a series of Sepia Saturday posts. I do have a Welsh Cake recipe posted already, Romantic Welsh Griddle Cakes, they were made as a Valentine’s Day treat a couple of years ago…..but, my most recent recipe on Great British Chefs is for the more traditional Welsh Cakes, with no bells, whistles or frills, just plain, simple and exceedingly tasty!

Welsh Cakes

Welsh Cakes

Baking should be fun, in my opinion, and my next recipe for Magic Microwave Mug Cakes is full of fun and is super easy and quick! When I was asked to develop a cake recipe that could be made in the microwave, my first idea was for a simple sponge cake or self -saucing chocolate cake; but then I had a brain wave, why not make a cake in a mug – the children would love it and you can make one or ten cakes, depending on how many mouths or mugs you have! And so I created my Magic Microwave Mug Cakes with Apple & Syrup, just in time for Bramley Apple Week.  My cakes were made in an assortment of old family mugs, and were devoured with cream and gusto!

Magic Microwave Mug Cakes with Apple & Syrup

Magic Microwave Mug Cakes with Apple & Syrup

Next from my recipe developing library,is a recipe for Custard Tarts, but with a bit of a twist as I decided to create some  Almond and Vanilla Custard Tarts, similar to Portuguese Custard Tarts. With a pack of ready-made and ready-rolled puff pastry, I manage to make 6 individual custard tarts – perfect for afternoon tea, and a large family sized custard tart – perfect for dessert after tea or supper. I was rather pleased with my custard tarts and my family loved them. I do have a recipe for Little Apple and Custard Tartelettes posted on Lavender and Lovage, as well as some Little Custard Pies with Mincemeat and Almonds - so as you can see,  I am a bit of a “custard” lover!

Almond and Vanilla Custard Tarts

Almond and Vanilla Custard Tarts

I hope you will try one of these recipes, I will copy the recipe links below, and for all of my recipes that are featured on Great British Chefs why not visit my dedicated page here: Karen S Burns-Booth.  That’s all for today, have a wonderful week, Karen

Traditional Welsh Cakes

Traditional Welsh Cakes

Recipes:

Welsh Cakes

Welsh Cakes (Bakestones)

Welsh Cakes (Bakestones)

Magic Microwave Mug Cakes

Magic Microwave Mug Cakes

Magic Microwave Mug Cakes

Almond and Vanilla Custard Tarts

Almond and Vanilla Custard Tarts

Almond and Vanilla Custard Tarts

Comments

I’ve been looking forward to this post Karen. I love a good cake and have been out off baking because I am so out of love with my temperamental oven which seems to burn everything! I will definely be trying these recipes x

Thanks so much Deena, I’m sorry to hear you have been off baking due to a dodgy oven……but I have seen some amazing recipes of yours recently that haven’t been baked! :-)

Mmm…custard tart – it reminds me of being at my grandma’s as a child. She always made hers with shortcrust pastry and a bit of nutmeg sprinkled on the top but I love the sound of your slight twist on the traditional with puff pastry and almonds.

You beat me to it with the Welsh cakes, my Welsh friend had asked me to post a recipe for them. She’s convinced you can’t make them unless you have the griddle with the stand up handle!! Love your custard tarts, of course. I’m very fond of all forms of those. I must try the mug cakes, perfect for when the Glam Teens are around, they have cake to their hearts content. GG

OH sorry GG! You will have to let me know when you post your Welsh Cakes recipe, and I will pop over!
      I am sure the Glam Teens would LOVE the mug cakes and as you say, they can cake on all day!

omg too many delicious puddings for one post… i’m loving the sponge cake in the Paddington Bear mug the best, that’s so cute, although the Welsh cakes are also wonderful xx

hehehe, even I make microwave mug cakes – I think they originate from the US? Yours do look rather more spectacular than mine though (probably because I always go for chocolate…lots of it!)

6. Heidi Roberts says

I love custard tarts and the microwave mug cakes look like fun. I have tried them before and it’s funny how they work!

You sound like a busy blogger! Love those welsh cakes – must try them one day as I had them in a cafe a couple of years ago and they were horribly dry – I also love your griddle – never seen one like that but it is just beautiful

I think that they do dry out when they are not freshly baked Johanna, similar to scones – ours did not hang around long enough for them them to dry out however! Karen

Three delicious treats in one post, you are truly spoiling us Karen! Your welsh cakes look amazing, as do the custard tarts! And I have to admit, I have never tried cupcake in a mug before but your recipe is making me want to try it.

9. Beth says

The microwave mug cakes look great and I plan to make them once I recover from foot surgery. One question: is the tablespoon a measuring spoon measure? If so level or heaped? My grandmother always measured with spoons in a similar way but she used big silver uk-style tablespoons. The cakes were always yummy though and I used her method when I moved away from home but had no scales to weigh and measure.
    Thanks for the great recipes.

Love the Welsh cakes, but the cake in a mug isn’t for me Call me a cake snob, but for me it can go in the no pile with the cake mixes. I remember hearing about it years ago and thinking it wasn’t for me. I am just laughing at the thought of Lynn Hill’s face if we presented it at Cake Club. Nope, Welsh cakes for m Karen.

Thanks! Well obviously these are not the sort of cakes you would take to a CCC meeting Jac! LOL! But, they are not the same as a cake mix – these were made with mum’s bramley apples, fresh local butter, sugar and flour with a dollop of golden syrup, so no hidden “nasties” in them! These really are just a bit of fun and my parents LOVED them! :-)

So happy to see your Welsh cakes. They are the food of my childhood and I have so many fond memories of my Mum making them! I just made some grain free ones – not quite the same as the real deal but almost!

Three fabulous recipes Karen. Welsh Cakes have been on my baking to do list for too long now, so shall have to make SOON! And I’ve been thinking about microwave puds for a while now, as quite frankly I never have time to do anything more these days, loving the apple and syrup combo and my kids would simply adore them made in their own special mugs. Lovely idea!

I LOVE the custard tarts. I am also a custard lover. I sometimes make custard tarts with Filo pastry too, to ring the changes. I haven’t made them with almonds…yet!
    The only question I have is what do you do with all your leftover egg whites? There is only so much meringue a girl can take!

Karen, those custard tarts sound divine. I love custard pie. Interesting that you said they’re typically made with a short crust. My family has always made custard pie in a traditional pie crust – kind of like the happy medium between short crust and puff pastry!

15. DANIELLE VEDMORE says

I love welsh cakes but have never made them myself – I always get my cousin to bring some back when he visits his grandma in Rhyll!