Gifts in a Jar ~ Mixed Spice ~ Old Fashioned English Pudding Spice

Gifts in a Jar

~ Mixed Spice ~

Old Fashioned

English Pudding Spice

Gifts in a Jar ~ Mixed Spice ~ Old Fashioned English Pudding Spice

Gifts in a Jar ~ Mixed Spice ~ Old Fashioned English Pudding Spice

The aromatic scent of the approaching festive season and Mum’s home baking, mixed spice is an essential jar in the spice rack. Mixed spice is a blend of sweet spices traditionally used in English cooking to provide a warming backnote. This typically English spice mixture can be purchased ready-mixed, but I prefer to make my own, as I find it difficult to find in France and I have my own special blend. It is essential for fruit cakes, Christmas plum pudding, mincemeat and hot cross buns; mixed spice is also a great addition to other fruity desserts such as apple & fruit pies, crumbles, sponge puddings and compotes.

Gifts in a Jar ~ Mixed Spice ~ Old Fashioned English Pudding Spice

Gifts in a Jar ~ Mixed Spice ~ Old Fashioned English Pudding Spice

Try it in cream cheese desserts, pickles, chutneys and mulled wine too. It is easy to make a batch and remember to buy the spices needed in small quantities, as the mixture soon loses its full spiced, punchy flavour. Allspice, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and ginger are the usual blend of spices, but I sometimes like to add a few ground cardamom seeds as well as some ground coriander seeds.

Gifts in a Jar ~ Mixed Spice ~ Old Fashioned English Pudding Spice

Gifts in a Jar ~ Mixed Spice ~ Old Fashioned English Pudding Spice

This spice mixture makes an unusual and attractive gift – tie a ribbon around the neck of the jar, add a “mob cap” of pretty paper and then add a seasonal recipe tag…….a Gift in a Jar! This is the first of my Gift in a Jar posts, more to follow over the next few weeks…….

This is a short post for today, but I will be back soon with more baking recipes for the end of National Baking Week, so, stay tuned!

This recipe is also being entered into the following seasonal events:

Vanessa’s

Ingredients:

• 2 teaspoons allspice
    • 2 inch piece of cinnamon stick
    • 2 teaspoons cloves
    • 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
    • 2 teaspoons ground ginger
    • 1 teaspoon ground cardamom (optional)
    • 1 teaspoon ground coriander (optional)

Method:

1. Grind the allspice, cinnamon and cloves to a fine powder and then mix well with the ground nutmeg and ginger.
  2. Add the finely ground cardamom and coriander seeds, if using, and mix well again.
  3. Use at once or store in an airtight jar in a cool dry place, and away from light.
  4. Makes an unusual and attractive gift, especially at Christmas – add a recipe tag and tie a ribbon around the top of the jar with pretty seasonal paper or material, not forgetting to add a recipe card.

Comments

1. Marie says

It's alway so satisfying to make your own spice mixes. I make my own garam masala too. I use a coffee grinder which works a charm! Note: it is never used for anything else, lol

2. Shaheen says

I wish I could sniff this.
    I always buy mixed spice, I am glad of this recipe as I know I will now be making my own.

3. JodieMo says

Love this spice mix! I'm sure this gets a lot of use around this time of year. It would make perfect Christmas gifts too!

4. Brownieville Girl says

It never occured to me to try making my own mixed spice – what a fantastic idea.

Just love the photos Karen.

5. Heather says

This sounds like such a yummy mix of spices! And it sounds good in almost anything!
    I'm making scones this morning and thought of you :)

6. Dom at Belleau Kitchen says

nice spice mix… i've just bought 12 kilner jars and i'm going through some of your old posts to find that perfect thing to preserve… any tips would be most welcome!… im thinking of caramelised onion marmlade?

7. Karen S Booth says

Thanks Brownieville Girl ~ I first started to make my own when I ran out of mixed spice in France a few years ago….

8. Karen S Booth says

Thanks Dom ~ I sent you an email with some links and other recipes not yet posted on my blog…….YES to onion marmalade, sent you the recipe!

9. Working london mummy says

this looks great. I was planning to make something like this for my seasonal baking, so will be coming back yo our recipe x

10. Jacqueline says

Great idea for a gift Karen and I cannot wait to see the other gifts you come up with. Really stunning photos too.

11. Rebecca from Chow and Chatter says

so pleased I found your blog, great spice mix, will enjoy the British recipes as an expat in the US makes me smile

Rebecca

12. Fabulicious Food says

Great idea to blend your own as I think it's the cloves that usually put me off using it, just not that keen on cloves. But if I mixed my own I could add more cinnamon in place of the cloves et voila! Great post!

13. Lauren says

I've been using your recipe from Food.com for several years now and use it ALL THE TIME. It's the BEST!!! I've actually eaten it twice today–in my morning oatmeal and in Nottingham Pudding that we had after dinner.

14. Lauren says

Oh, and I would like to add that in my humble opinion, the cardamom and coriander are not optional! :-) They really put this over the top!

15. Choclette says

I do so like your addition of cardamom to the mix and although I make up my own spice mixes, I've never thought to give them away as presents. Lovely idea Karen.

16. Liz@Violet Posy says

That is an amazing present to give someone. Can I use this one on Thrifty Christmas as well? You have so many great ideas!

17. Choclette says

Made my version of your mixed spice today. it was fantastic, sooooo much better than any I've ever bought. It's funny but I make up my own spice mixes for curry such as garam masala, but just never thought to do it for good old mixed spice. Thank you for the idea, it's a good one.