Remembrance Sunday, Tea Time Treats and Dark Sticky Double Gingerbread

Remembrance Sunday,
Tea Time Treats
Dark Sticky Double Gingerbread
My tea time treats entry was an easy choice……I knew what I was going to make ages ago, and I make no apologies for it being a simple recipe; for me it conjures up the month of November and all that is great about British winter baking…’s not a light, airy fairy cake or a short crumbly scone, nor is it a glossy glazed tart of seasonal fruits, no, it is a classic old fashioned recipe that has been baked in my family for generations, it’s GINGERBREAD! And it’s not just a plain old single gingerbread, no, it is a double whammy of the hot stuff for me, as I am a ginger junkie.

This is not a shy retiring kind of gingerbread, this is a very dark and sticky piece of culinary work with a wicked secret, MORE ginger lurks beneath its plain exterior, I always add chunks of crystallised ginger for that extra kick. It is best made at least 2 days before liberating the cake from the tin, and it just gets better the longer you keep it. It can be eaten naked ~ that IS the cake not you, but whatever floats your boat, OR it is divine when toasted and spread liberally with butter and maybe even a dollop of golden syrup for a total overload on the “sucre” front.
Please do join in our new monthly bake and blog challenge, it is a perfect excuse to make that favourite tea time treat, and Kate and I are so excited with the entries that we have received already. Anyway, back to my dark and sultry gingerbread; I made this batch of gingerbread several days ago, just before I became ill, and it was the perfect pick-me-up today with a big mug of hot tea, on this sad day of Remembrance. If you dislike ginger, steer away from this recipe; however, if like me you are a ginger junkie then put this on your winter tea time table ~ it’s an old fashioned fluffy slippers and quilted dressing gown type of cake, unpretentious and a veritable British classic.
So that’s my Tea Time Treats offering, see you all later, oh yes before I go, and I am sorry that my printable recipes are not working; they were scuppered when my blog was hacked into last week; Jacqueline from Tinned Tomatoes has given me an alternative site to use, but I have not got around to it yet ~ but I will do soon!

Dark Sticky Double Gingerbread
(makes 12 slices)
  225g self raising flour
pinch salt
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon mixed spice
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
50g soft brown sugar
100g Stork margarine or butter
150g black treacle
75g golden syrup
150ml milk
2 large free range eggs, beaten
75g chopped crystallised ginger

1 Pre-heat oven to 150ºC, 300ºF, Gas Mark 2. Grease an 18 cm (7 inch) square deep cake tin.
2 Sieve together flour, salt, ginger, spice and bicarbonate of soda. Stir in the sugar.
3 Melt margarine, treacle and syrup gently. Gradually beat in milk and allow to cool.
4 Add the beaten eggs and mix well. Stir treacle mixture into the flour and add the chopped crystallised ginger pieces.
5 Pour mixture into prepared tin and bake for about 1¼ hours until firm and well risen.

I am also entering this Gingerbread into
Ruth’s November baking challenge which is

Come and join in the fun this month at:

1. Marie says

We are ginger junkies in this house as well. We just can't get enough! Your gingerbread looks wonderful. Hope you are feeling better! xxoo

2. Inthesky says

I made 'A trifle Rushed' Banana Gingerbread this weekend and a dark Gingerbread, I had a Spinning, Weaving and Dyeing Exhibition and we 'Needed' cakes. I doubled the ginger in both recipes and it still wasn't enough! The Banana and Ginger is delicious. I will definitely be coming back to this recipe soon.

3. Annie @ knitsofacto says

I am a total ginger junkie and will definitely give this a try.

I'm planning a bake for Teatime Treats do, but when are there ever enough hours in the day!!!

4. Hannah says

I'm loving all of these sticky gingerbread recipes!
    I have something for this challenge – hopefully I will get around to posting it this week :o)

5. Kate@whatkatebaked says

The PERFECT tea time treats entry Karen and I love that first Autumnal photo with the beautiful leaves!

6. Kate - Turquoise Lemons says

Love the photo. I was thinking about photographing some of my preserves outside amongst some leaves but I bottled out as I don't have a garden and would have had to do it on the side of the road. I think people would have thought I was bonkers!

7. Dom at Belleau Kitchen says

These look wonderful Karen. Right up my street. But then I adore ginger. I'm thinking of making a ginger Parkin this week. Just have to find a window!!

8. Laura@howtocookgoodfood says

This is just about the perfect cake for the month of November, the only trouble is you can't win your own competition although I would vote for you!

9. millefeuilles says

Dear, dear Karen,

You are just the lady to ask; where do I find black treacle in France? Or do I need to ask my friends to bring it over from the UK next time they are over?

I adore gingerbread for its taste AND fairytale associations… As soon as I get my hands on some treacle I shall be whisking out my baking tray.

I hope the UK is treating you well 😉

10. Karen S Booth says

Stephanie ~ you can get black treacle in most French supermarkets in the specialist English section….it is pricey however! I always bring some back from the UK, but you can get it like I said in SuperU, Leclerc or Carrefour!

11. Ruth Ellis says

Yum – you can't beat a good dense sticky gingerbread! This one looks perfect, and cuts so neatly – mine always fall apart!