- The Secret Recipe Club -
Cream Cheese Chicken Enchiladas
It’s time to reveal my Secret Recipe partner, and her wonderful recipe; and my partner this month is…………Erin from The Spiffy Cookie – I LOVE the name of her blog and I was interested to read that she is currently working towards her PhD in Biomedical Sciences and that her lab-mates complain that she is making them fat with leftover baked goods that she takes in to share with them…..it could be worse! If you want to read more about Erin and her love of food you can visit her HERE.
I spent ages going through Erin’s recipes and finally decided on her delectable sounding Cream Cheese Chicken Enchiladas. I had cooked chicken, I had tortillas, I even had a jar of green jalapeño chillies as well as some cream cheese, so the recipe was set for a comforting supper dish at the beginning of a cold and grey February. The only thing I DIDN’T have was enchilada sauce, but a quick search on the internet resulted in a simple recipe that I made in readiness for this meal, which is HERE. Erin’s recipe was easy to follow and the results were really great – hot and spicy sort of Mexican pancakes (tortillas) yet wonderfully creamy with with a cream cheese, sweetcorn and chicken filling, bathed in a spicy tomato sauce (enchilada sauce) and baked with bubbling cheese…….and those naughty little jalapeño chillies……we both loved it. I served Erin’s enchiladas with a simple chopped tomato salad and it was perfect cold weather comfort food.
It has been another wonderful month with the Secret Recipe Club and again, I have discovered a new blog and friend, as I feel I know Erin very well having spent several hours perusing her blog for recipes and reading about her………Erin’s recipe is on her blog HERE, but, I have also copied it out in this post; if you do make it, please make sure you give Erin credit and link back to her site! Thanks! See you later with a thrifty but tasty family supper dish, Karen.
5 oz. reduced fat cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup light sour cream
10 oz. can of enchilada sauce
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese, divided
2 cups cooked shredded chicken
1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed (canned corn works just fine, but drain it first)
4 oz. can diced green chiles
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp cumin
Salt and pepper
4 scallions, thinly sliced
8 (8-inch) whole wheat tortillas
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Spray a 9×13 dish with cooking spray.
- In the bowl of your mixer cream together the cream cheese, sour cream, and 1/2 of the enchilada sauce. Stir in 1/2 cup of each type of cheese.
- In a second bowl toss together the chicken, corn, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper, green chiles, and half of the scallions. Add the chicken mixture to the cheese mixture and combine well.
- Spread about half of the remaining enchilada sauce in the bottom of the baking dish.
- Spoon the filling into each tortilla, roll the tortilla up, and place in the baking dish with the seam down. Pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the top of the filled tortillas and sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Sprinkle with the remaining scallions and serve.
Source: Buns In My Oven