An Easy No-Bake Treat:

Chocolate Peppermint Squares Recipe

An Easy No-Bake Treat: Chocolate Peppermint Squares Recipe

This will be a short post, as I have been on the road all day (well, on the rails actually, or should that be off the rails!) – but, these delicious easy no-bake treats, Chocolate Peppermint Squares, need to be shared as the recipe is just so easy (as the title suggests) and it’s just a matter of crushing, melting and chilling – no baking at all is required in this recipe. I made these a couple of weeks ago, for my friend Lynn’s 50th Birthday Picnic party, which, you can read about here: Picnics, Salads and Paella! Under the Willow Tree with Salmon Spread and Russian Salad. The tray of these minty squares that I took along to the picnic vanished in a trice and I have been asked to share the recipe with several of my friends. The original recipe was found on an American website – Very Best Baking (a commercial site run by Nestlé) and can be found here: Easy No-Bake Creamy Chocolate Mint Bars, but, I tweaked it to metric measurements, and also added and changed a few ingredients too, as you will see if you compare the two recipes.

An Easy No-Bake Treat: Chocolate Peppermint Squares Recipe

The original recipe calls for  NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels and chocolate wafer cookies – I used 75% cocoa solids chocolate in place of the semi-sweet chocolate morsels, and double chocolate chip cookies in place of the chocolate wafer cookies. I also added a VERY British ingredient to the minty filling, a Kendal Mint Cake! It added a really fresh minty taste, as well as making the filling a little firmer.

An Easy No-Bake Treat: Chocolate Peppermint Squares Recipe

As these cheeky little chocolate squares have MINT in them, they make an excellent candidate for this month’s We Should Cocoa, a fabulous chocolate challenge hosted by Choclette over at Chocolate Log Blog; this month, the guest host is the lovely Victoria from A Kick in the Pantry Door, and the theme is……..as you may have guessed, MINT! I think that mint makes for a very happy marriage when hitched with chocolate, just think of all the lovely choc-mint treats that there are out there……After Eight Mints, Elizabeth Shaw’s Mints, Aero Bars and many more. As well as one of my favourite ice creams, choc-chip mint.

An Easy No-Bake Treat: Chocolate Peppermint Squares Recipe

The link to the original recipe has been shared above, but, I have also recorded the recipe as I made it below; the measurements are in metric, and may not correlate exactly to the original recipe, but they worked for me. I also discovered that the few bits and pieces of these peppermint chocolate squares that were left, more crumbs than squares, were excellent when crumbled into some vanilla ice cream! That’s all for today, I am off to have a long soak in the bath and then it’s an early night with one of my new cookbooks, bliss! See you later and have a wonderful evening, Karen

Chocolate Peppermint Squares Recipe:

INGREDIENTS:

320g x 75% cocoa solids chocolate, broken into small pieces

225g butter

85g bar of Kendal Mint Cake, melted

380g chocolate chip cookies, I used double chocolate chip cookies, crushed

2 tablespoons milk

2 teaspoons peppermint essence or extract, divided

4 drops of green food colouring

320g icing sugar

METHOD:

Butter a 9″ square baking tin.

Melt 100g of the chocolate with 75g of the butter (in a microwave is best) and then add it to the crushed cookies, then press them into the base of the buttered baking tin.  Allow to chill in a fridge or a freezer for about 10 to 15 minutes, until it is firm and cold.

Beat 100g of the butter with half of the peppermint essence/extract and then gradually add the icing sugar and beat until smooth. Add the melted and cooled Kendal mint cake and mix well again. Add the food colouring, a drop at a time until the desired colour has been achieved. Spread this over the chilled cookie base and allow to chill once again, for about 10 minutes.

Melt the remaining chocolate with the rest of the butter and the peppermint essence/extract, again in the microwave is best, and then when the chocolate has melted, beat until the chocolate and butter is smooth and amalgamated. Allow to stand for 10 minutes until it is cooler, but not set and then pour or spoon over the peppermint filling. Chill the squares for 2 hours until they are firm, then allow to come to room temperature for 10 minutes before cutting into squares. Makes about 18 to 24 squares.

We Should Cocoa

An Easy No-Bake Treat: Chocolate Peppermint Squares Recipe

This recipe was made by Amy for the Secret Recipe Club, Group D, August 2013 reveal day!

Secret Recipe Club

Comments

love the melted kendal mint cake, what a fab idea!… these look so pretty but so great to know they’re so easy to make.. which is always dangerous!

2. Lisa Williams says

This looks amazing and really refreshing like a better version of an after 8 cake I really am going to have to make this :)

To paraphrase a well known movie “You had me at ‘No-Bake’”! And then I saw the photos! These look seriously delicious, thank you so much for linking up with We Should Cocoa this month.

I love Kendal mint cakes. They always remind me of ‘home’ (England, though I now live in Australia so both are home really!). What a beautiful idea to add one to this gloriously minty, chocolatey slice! Yum! Definitely trying this Karen. Thanks! x

5. Maya Russell says

I have everything except Kendal Mint Cake. Hope it’s easy to get. They look really good.

6. Claire Appleton says

Well I made these this afternoon and they really are as tasty as they look. Cant wait for my partner to get home from work and try some. Thank you very much for the recipe! :)

7. Linda Bird says

These look great just the sort of thing I like to make because it’s easy and it’s chocolate!

8. Paula Harvey says

Ooh my hubby would love me forever if I made him these – although Kendal Mint cake isnt so easy to find up here… :(

9. Linda McGarrigle says

Oh i am going to have to try making these over the weekend they look fab but not complicated xoxox

Mmmm I love kendal mint cake, so I’m going to have to try these. I’ll on bake if the oven is already on for dinner, so it’s handy to have a non bake recipe for times when the ovens not on.

These were my favourite when I was a very small child. I can still remember the cafe my mum took me to before we moved house when I was 5! Vohn x

12. Laura Caraher says

These look delicious and are so quick and simple to make, I’m going to have a go at baking them at Christmas with my nephew :)

Whenever I’m looking for new recipes ‘no-bake’ is one of the first terms I search for due to my oven never doing exactly what the dial settings tell it to. This is a fantastic recipe, thanks :)

14. faye huntington says

i’ve never been a great fan of peppermint but these look as though they’ve come out really nice! they might make a lovely afternoon tea addition at some point! with love, faye xx

15. lorraine stone says

These look melt in your mouth fantastic! Kendal mint cake, haven’t heard about that for years.

16. K Mayers says

I’ve just shown these to my wife & apparently she’s going to make some on the weekend when the family are here. She was excited by the thought! I must say they look wonderful, it’s a great idea.

17. JennG says

These look amazing. I have found that it is sometimes a challenge to recreate my fave recipes from when I lived in the US so this is great!! Thanks.

18. fiona butler says

These look delicious & I love that you used Kendall Mint cake in the recipe, what a fantastic idea (I have noted this in the back of my brain!). I will definitely be producing a batch of these for my kids – I’m sure they’ll really enjoy them. Can’t see them hanging around for too long either! Well done & thank you so much for sharing this recipe x

19. michelle bennett says

Oh my! These look yummy! I love that they are no bake too. No chance of a kitchen disaster like me ruining them lol x

These look just like a tray bake my gran used to make. I’ve never cooked/baked with Kendal Mint Cake although it is one of my favourite sweets. Your squares look fabulous and a real treat.