The Secret Recipe Club:
Chicken Parmesan (Chicken Parmigiana)
This month’s reveal day reveals one of my favourite recipes and this one comes from Julie over at White Lights on Wednesdays; and this recipe is a very special one, as it is one that Julie created to win her man’s heart, it’s Chicken Parmesan or otherwise known as Chicken Parmigiana. It’s a fabulous combination of ingredients with a nod to Emeril with some special essence seasoning. I served mine with some oven baked aubergines and some extra tomatoes for a fully loaded veggie and chicken dish with cheese.
I have copied Julie’s fabulous recipe below, but you can find the original recipe here: Mike’s Favorite // Chicken Parmesan. Julie’s blog is brimming with amazing recipes and she says that…...” she loves food, making it, sharing it and eating it, as well as being a bread addict and enjoying a pint of Guinness……and you can probably buy her off with a chocolate dipped cone too”……I was also tempted to make: Knock Off Chick-Fil-A Nugget Sliders, California Bay Burger, Croque Monsieur Strata, Lemon Ricotta Fritters and Julie’s Black and White Cheesecake Bars……..
We both loved her Chicken Parmesan (Chicken Parmigiana) however and Emeril’s Essence was the key to this recipe! That’s it for this month’s Secret Recipe Club, see you soon with more new recipes and notes……Karen
(Author: Essecnce from Emeril Lagasse)
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, butterflied
½ cup all-purpose flour
½ cup milk
¾ Panko bread crumbs
¼ cup Parmesan cheese, fershly grated
1 tablespoon salt, plus more for water
2 tablespoons Essence, divided
½ cup vegetable oil
1 pound penne pasta
1 jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce, divided
Fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into slices
Fresh basil, torn into pieces (optional)
1½ tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme
1. Mix Essence ingredients together in a small bowl; set aside. Store unused essence in an air tight container.
2. Bring a large pot, filled halfway with water, to a boil over high heat. Generously salt boiling water and add pasta. Reduce heat to medium-high and cook until al dente, stirring occasionally. When ready, drain pasta. Toss with all but 1¼ cups of pasta sauce and set aside.
3. Set up your dredging stations: Station 1 – On a plate: flour mixed with 1 tablespoon salt & 1 tablespoon Essence / Station 2 – In a bowl: egg and milk whisked together / Station 3 – On a plate: Panko bread crumbs, Parmesan, and 1 tablespoon Essence mixed together
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
5. Heat oil over medium heat in a cast iron skillet. Dredge one chicken breast in the flour, then in the egg mixture, and finally in the bread crumb mixture. Place carefully into hot oil. Repeat with other chicken breast.
6. Cook chicken for 4 to 5 minutes per side, until golden brown crust forms and chicken is cooked through.
7. In a 11″ x 8″ baking dish, add ½ cup of pasta sauce and roll it around the bottom of the dish to coat. Place chicken breasts on top of sauce in baking dish. Top with remaining pasta sauce. Layer chicken with mozzarella cheese, as much as you like. Place chicken into preheat oven and bake for 12 minutes.
8. Turn oven to broil. Cook chicken until cheese begins to bubble and get brown spots.
9. Remove chicken from oven and plate over pasta. Top with torn basil leaves.