For forty days ’twill rain nae mair
dost = does
thou = you
nae mair = no more
- 4 cod fish fillets or 4 haddock fillets
- 6 ounces plain flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 (8 fluid ounce) bottle English beer, Small
- 1/2 lemons, juice of
- salt & pepper
- extra flour
- 3 lbs potatoes, peeled & chipped
- good quality cooking fat or oil
Put some flour onto a plate. Dredge the fish fillets in the flour thoroughly – this is VERY important, it stops the batter sliding off when fried! Leave the fish fillets in the flour whilst you make the batter.
Some people say you should make the batter at least one hour before – I have found little difference – so make it before if it is convenient or now.