Lavender and Lace……..
French Lavender and Vanilla Sugar
Elegant Cakes and Bakes
A really quick post for this morning ~ but I will be back with another post later on today, so a double whammy for Monday then…..I am in the throes of laundry and dishes, as our B and B guests depart today and I have some more checking in later. But here is something I made earlier, in the manner of Blue Peter. I have been meaning to post some more of my lavender recipes for some time, so here for a Lyrical Lavender Monday Morning, is one of my favourites ~ French Lavender and Vanilla Sugar for Elegant Cakes and Bakes….I will be back later today with more news, recipes and photos etc…..
French Lavender & Tahitian Vanilla – what a great combination. A very simple but effective flavoured sugar; I always have a jar or two in my pantry ready to use in my cooking and baking. This sugar is WONDERFUL sprinkled on cakes, scones, biscuits (cookies), sweet tarts and baked desserts, as well as ice cream. You must make sure your lavender heads are free of pesticides, fertiliser and traffic pollution. Also a great gift idea – tie a sprig of lavender around the neck of the jar with a ribbon and a lavender recipe……et Voila, a perfect gift.
French Lavender and Vanilla Sugar for Elegant Cakes and Bakes
- 225g (8ozs) white caster sugar
- dried lavender flowers from 6~10 heads of lavender
- 3 vanilla pods
- Place the lavender heads and about 2 tablespoons sugar into a food mixer, or coffee/spice blender. Pulse together for about 1 minute or until the lavender is ground, the same consistency as ground spices.
- Place the rest of the sugar into a large mixing bowl & add the ground lavender and sugar mix. Mix well.
- In a tall jar, Kilner jars are good, pour half the lavender sugar; place the three vanilla pods in the jar, towards the outside so they may be seen,.
- Carefully add the rest of the sugar so the vanilla pods are standing up in the sugar.
- Seal and keep for about 2 weeks before using,.
- Store in a dark, dry and cool place.
- This lasts up to 1 year and the vanilla pods can be used numerous times after the sugar has finished.
- Use in cakes, biscuits, cookies, jams, cream desserts, ice-cream, pies and tarts, crumbles, trifles and junkets etc.