- 3 lbs (1350g) ripe figs, washed and diced
- 2 lbs (900g) preserving sugar
- 1 -2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 1 cooking apple, cored, peeled and diced
- 4 -5 tablespoons crystallised ginger, chopped roughly
- 3 lemons, juice of, only
- 1/2 pint water
- Put the figs, sugar and ground ginger into a large non-metallic bowl, cover and leave for 6-8 hours.
- Just before you are ready to make your jam, warm and sterilise your jam jars and jam pot covers or lids – prepare jars by washing in hot soapy water and leaving to dry and warm in a cool oven – 130C/250F/Gas ½ for 10-15 minutes.
- Transfer the figs and sugar to a large saucepan or preserving pan, add the apple, crystallised ginger, lemons and water. Stir over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the fruit is soft and setting point is reached.
- Remove the jam from the heat and leave to cool for 20-25 minutes. Pour into the warm jam jars and cover/seal straight away.
- Label and store in a cool dark place for 2-3 weeks to allow the flavours to develop.
See you later,