Special K Original Cereal
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day it is said, and although I am guilty of missing breakfast sometimes, I think I’d be better at grabbing something nutritious and healthy if I was well prepared ahead of time. Today’s “Three Healthy Breakfast Recipe Ideas” are recipes that I created and developed with Special K and Great British Chefs, and are three winners……Sesame and Honey Granola Bars, which can be doubled up for the school or office lunch box, Banana Bread Smoothie for a naughty but healthy early morning breakfast treat and Bircher Breakfast Bowl with Spiced Apples and Granola Crumble, are all made with Special K’s original flakes, for extra texture, taste and nutritional value.
With the exception of the banana smoothie, which is super easy and quick to make, the other recipes can be made the day or night before, which means there is no excuse the shut the door behind you on an empty stomach. I’m a big fan of Special K original flakes, which are a delicious combination of crunchy rice, whole wheat and barley. Each average bowl contains 9 vitamins & minerals as well as fibre and wholegrain, and of course those vitamins and minerals can be added to each one of my recipes too. All three recipes are shared below and if you are looking for something a bit different for breakfast, than I am sure these will all fit the bill. Karen
Disclaimer: Paid collaborative work with Great British Chefs and Special K
Special K recipes by Karen Burns-Booth
Sesame and Honey Granola Bars
Easy to make, the flakes are added to the mixture, which results in a crumblier texture than usual, but the bars hold together when they are completely cold. (Makes 12 to 15 squares or bars)
150g jumbo oats
50g Special K original flakes, crushed
50g mixed dried fruit, such as cranberries, blueberries etc
25g sesame seeds
25g chia seeds
100g unsalted butter
100g runny honey
100g demerara sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 160C/325F/Gas mark 3 and grease and/or line a square 20cm baking tray well with butter and greaseproof paper.
- Place all the dry ingredients into a large bowl.
- Heat the butter, honey and sugar together until the sugar and the butter have melted. Take off the heat.
- Pour the butter mixture into the dried ingredients and mix well.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared baking tray and press down FIRMLY and evenly to compress the mixture; bake in pre-heated oven for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely before cutting into 12 to 15 squares or bars.
- Store in an airtight tin for up to 4 or 5 days.
Banana Bread Smoothie
An easy to make breakfast smoothie that is delicious with the extra texture and taste of the nutty Special K flakes in it. (Makes 2 smoothies)
2 very ripe bananas, peeled and roughly diced
6 tablespoons Special K flakes
150mls vanilla yoghurt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons honey
2 to 3 ice cubes
- Place all of the ingredients into a large blender jug, and blend until smooth.
- Pour the smoothies into 2 large glasses and serve at once.
Bircher Breakfast Bowl with Spiced Apples and Granola Crumble
An easy overnight oats dish with poached spiced apples and a crunchy granola crumble topping; the Special K flakes are added to the oats and also to as an additional crunchy topping. (Serves 4)
150g quick porridge oats
50g Special K original flakes, plus extra for the topping
250mls apple juice
2 apples, peeled and cut into slices
2 tablespoons caster sugar
½ teaspoon mixed spice
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
80g granola, I used special Raisins and Red Apple K granola
- Place the oats, Special K flakes, apple juice and milk into a bowl and mix well; divide the mixture between 4 x covered jars such a Mason or Kilner jars and cover. OR, just cover the bowl and set it aside in a cool place overnight.
- Poach the apples; place the apples with the sugar, spices and 2 tablespoons of water into a pan and simmer until soft but still retaining their shape. Cover and keep cool overnight.
- The next morning, serve the bircher in individual bowls with the poached apples, granola and some extra Special K original flakes on top.
Ten Breakfast Ideas on Lavender and Lovage: