Many British people overlook the beauty and charm of their own country when searching for a holiday destination, oftentimes they spend loads of money going abroad even though their own country offers a similar experience.
There’s a reason why it’s ranked at 10th in the worldwide tourism rankings, though it may not be the home to the most incredible weather, Britain is a treasure trove of stunning landscapes, historic cities and overall great spirits.
The famous isles offer something for everyone, whether you are a native or not.
It doesn’t matter whether you’re searching for a luxurious escape from a bustling city or a budget-friendly hotel, in this article, we’ll delve into both ends of the spectrum. Here is a showcase of some of the best British holidays.
Glamping in the Countryside
Camping doesn’t have to be mud and cold feet, if you’re looking for a taste of luxury while admiring nature’s beauty, glamping is just for you.
Glamping, (a glorious amalgamation of “glamourous,” and “camping,”) has taken off in the UK in recent years, with more and more sites dedicated to this new form of holiday being erected.
Some of the most popular glamping accommodations are wooden pods which are decked out like luxury hotel rooms, the only difference is they are surrounded by the great outdoors.
These often come with added extras like hot tubs and are popping up everywhere across the British countryside.
North Devon in particular, is laden with spots for the happy glamper and some other hotspots include Brighton and Somerset.
Luxurious Hotel Retreats
The UK is filled to the brim with world-class hotels and even Hotels with Swimming Pools, enough to fulfil the needs of the classic high-end holiday goer.
From historic manors in the Cotswolds to contemporary spa resorts in Scotland, there is so much opulent accommodation to choose from. When booking a hotel in the UK, always consider the following things:
- Cancellation Fees: Things can change quickly, so check for any cancellation fees so you’re prepared for any charges in case your plans change.
- Check Reviews: Seek advice from former customers of the company. Try to read reviews rather than following star ratings, high star ratings can be forged easily.
- Register to Websites: Use your email and register to any hotels you’re interested in, this way you can get alerts for any of the newest deals and bundles.
Most of these luxury resorts are reputable because of the fact that, in general, the more money you spend, the better your experience will be.
Sometimes there is nothing better than visiting the staples in the industry and other high establishments for the most tried and tested service.
Daring City Breaks
If you’re looking for something more urban and lively, there are so many British cities that offer a host of luxury and one of a kind experiences.
All of the countries included in the banner of Great Britain, England, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales are home to some of the best city breaks imaginable, some of the most famous include:
- London: The classic adventure, the capital city of England is home to everything. From Buckingham Palace to Michelin-starred dining, sometimes it’s best to go with what’s most popular.
- York: Practically the capital of England during the middle ages, York has kept all of its medieval charm. If you’re looking for something more quaint and a little more peaceful, York is perfect for you. Yorkshire in itself is a beautiful county with plenty of stunning sites to visit.
- Manchester: Home to a rich footballing and music culture, Manchester is equal to London in all it has to offer. Many call Manchester the London of the North.
- Belfast: The capital and largest city of Northern Ireland, though lesser known, Belfast mixes both the old and the new in a gorgeous cosmopolitan landscape.
- St. David’s: The UK’s smallest city, St. David’s in Wales sums up the beauty of Wales. With so much packed into such a small place, for anyone looking for a truly relaxing holiday this city is perfect for you.
If you’re looking for some urban charms on a shoestring, several of these cities offer a wealth of budget-friendly experiences.
If you’re looking to save some money opt for budget hotels or hostels that provide clean and comfortable lodgings, there are plenty on the market.
Budget Conscious Camping
Hiking in the UK offers an authentic and immersive way to connect with Great Britain’s numerous natural wonders.
From the serene waters and hills of the Lake District to the rugged, expansive Scottish highlands, get ready to pitch your tent amidst the landscapes and breathe in the crisp air.
Along with the two above mentioned, some other fantastic spots to pitch a tent up include:
- The Peak District: Located at the Southern end of the Pennies.
- The Cotswolds: Expansive rural space positioned in central South-West England
- Snowdonia: A vast national park in Wales home to the highest point in both England and Wales.
- Cornwall: Right on the Southern Western tip of England, Cornwall is a seaside heaven filled with beaches and serene camping spots.
Right to Roam Laws
If you’re planning to camp across Britain, it is worth noting that the right to roam laws for Wales, Scotland, England and Ireland are slightly different.
Be sure to research the differences in the regulations so you don’t find yourself falling into any trouble.
In Scotland, the laws are less stringent as very little of the land is privately owned, making it a perfect place for anyone who loves camping.
Affordable B & B’s
Bed and Breakfasts are a quintessentially British accommodation option that offer a comfortable, inexpensive and more intimate setting.
There are plenty of hidden gems across the whole of Britain, from quaint villages to pubs to traditional cottages, with most of them featuring plenty of charming, welcoming hosts.
When picking the right B and B be sure to consult reviews, and, more importantly, ask as many questions as possible.
Also remember that the breakfast itself is a significant part of the package. There are plenty of B and Bs offering fantastic English breakfasts, you can’t get the whole experience without one.
Houseboats on Canals and Rivers
Finally, to throw a wildcard into the mix, for a memorable and truly unique experience, consider opting for a houseboat vacation on the British waterways.
These floating homes offer a relaxing escape and the opportunity to cruise down scenic canals, rivers and lakes.
Whether you’re navigating the legendary River Thames or the Norfolk Broads, these boats can be as equipped, or (if you’re really feeling brave!) unequipped as you please.
With its mild and predictable weather there are few places where a solitary holiday on the water would be more enjoyable and safe.
Holidays in Britain
A holiday within Britain can be whatever you imagine. These isles offer so many options, there is no holiday and experience you won’t be able to find, no matter your budget or preferences.
Whether you are native or not, make sure to cross your I’s and dot your t’s before you book and you’ll find a lifetime of memories awaiting you.