Honey Ginger Tea Loaf – Autumn blew in with a vengeance today, but this BeRo recipe for Honey Ginger Tea Loaf soon cheered us up.
A Vintage Be-Ro Recipe for the Tea Time Table
This Honey Ginger Tea Loaf recipe is from the 38th edition, which is from 1988. I’ver never really noticed this recipe before, and it’s the first time I’ve made it.
However, I will be making it again, as it is a fabulous tea loaf; it’s dark and sticky with a real hit of ginger, which marries well with the sweetness from the honey.
I served this as part of one of our weekly Sunday Tea Tray Suppers, sliced with thickly spread butter.
It’s a good keeper, and it lasted for a week in a cake tin. In fact, like lots of ginger cakes, tea breads and tea loaves, it got better towards the end.
I made two small tweaks to the original recipe. I added more crystallised ginger to the cake batter, and didn’t decorate the top with any, as suggested.
Other than that, I made it exactly as it was published 35 years ago. It’s funny how I’ve never noticed the recipe before now, as I love ginger in baking.
The recipe is shared below, and thanks to BeRo who worked it all out, the recipe is in metric and Imperial measurements.
- If you prefer, you can substitute the crystallised ginger with 1 x 5ml spoon (1 teaspoon) of ground ginger.
- Keeps well in a tin for up to a week.
- Not suitable for freezing.
More Tea Loaf and Tea Bread Recipes
- Stem Ginger & Golden Syrup Tea Loaf
- Shetland Huffsie (Fruited Tea Loaf)
- Sultana & Lemon Tea Loaf Cake
- 300g (12oz) SR Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 100g (4oz) margarine or butter
- 100g (4oz) dark soft brown sugar
- 125g (5oz) clear honey, warmed
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3 x 15ml spoons (3 tablespoons) milk
- 50g (2oz) crystallised ginger, finely diced
- 1 x 15ml spoon (1 tablespoon) honey, to glaze
- Mix flour and bicarbonate of soda together. Rub in the margarine or butter then stir in the sugar.
- Mix in the honey, egg and milk to form a dough.
- Add the diced ginger.
- Spoon the mixture into a well greased and lined 900g (2lb) loaf tin.
- Bake for about 1hr at 160C/325F/Gas mark 3 until well risen and firm.
- Brush with the honey whilst still warm, to glaze.
- Turn out of the tin once the loaf is cool. Serve in slices.
If you prefer, you can substitute the crystallised ginger with 1 x 5ml spoon (1 teaspoon) of ground ginger.
Keeps well in a tin for up to a week.
Not suitable for freezing.
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 64Total Fat 1gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 18mgSodium 40mgCarbohydrates 11gFiber 0gSugar 3gProtein 2g