|Photo by BBC Food|
- 3 beetroots, peeled
- 3 carrots, peeled
- 3 parsnips, peeled
- vegetable oil ( for frying), or rapeseed oil or light olive oil
- fleur de sel
- fresh herbs, finely chopped (optional)
- ground cumin (optional)
- curry powder (optional)
- ground star anise (optional)
- garlic powder (optional)
- onion powder (optional)
- celery salt (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large chip pan or deep fat fryer.(190C/380F)
- Peel the beetroot (using latex gloves) then the carrots and parsnips and slice them into thin slivers using a mandolin. Place them on paper towel.
- Plunge the vegetable crisps into the hot oil, shaking to ensure that they are not sticking together. Remove when crisp, about 2 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Repeat and fry them in batches, depending on the desired quantity.
- Season with the sel de fleur salt (mixed with herbs or spices if using) before serving.