October Cooking with Herbs Round-Up
Once again you have dazzled me with your wonderful and vibrant entries for Cooking with Herbs, as you will all see when you scroll down the list below! THANKS so much! Before I announce the winner of the cookbook for this month, October, I would like to apologise for not posting a round-up from last month yet……..I DID have a draft post going for all of the entries, but I inadvertently deleted some of the entries by navigating away from the draft page before saving it, and was left with only 3 entries on the draft page……..and as there were over 70 entries, that was a HUGE disaster, and I am still working my way through them all……….but, what I can do before I finish the late round-up, is the announce the winner of September’s cookbook prize, so it can be sent out…….and the winner is, and a very worthy winner too, as chosen by my mum, the winner is……Shaheen of Allotment 2 Kitchen – my mum LOVED her Beetroot, Red Onion and Puy Lentil Bourguignon……….
……..as she is a vegetarian herself, and thought this was an amazing recipe she could make herself! Please contact me Shaheen, so I can have your book sent out and a winner’s badge sent over. The winner for OCTOBER’s best recipe will be announced at the end of this round-up post, as to avoid confusion!
Once again, THANKS for all of your FABULOUS entries! Karen
October Cooking with Herbs Round-Up
1. A vegetarian feast: pizza with chargrilled vegetables by Rita of My Little Italian Kitchen: A FABULOUS pizza from Rita’s Italian kitchen and with one of my favourite herbs, oregano, as well as basil. I think it looks DIVINE thanks Rita!
2. Kedgeree’s Eccentric Cousin by Phil of As Strong as Soup: Phil has made a kedgeree with a mixture of fish as well as smoked salmon, Perilla (shiso leaves) and short grain brown rice, for an eccentric twist!
3. Tomato and Eggplant Galette by Ann of Carrington Lane Bakery: Ann has made one of my all time favourite tarts, a galette, with aubergines, tomatoes and some delicious fresh basil as her herbal offering – it looks amazing.
4. Blackberry vinegar with tarragon by Kiki of Kitchen of Kiki: A fabulous seasonal flavoured vinegar with brambles and tarragon – this would be perfect on any autumnal salad.
5. Roast Butternut, Onion & Sage Tart by Louisa of Eat your Veg: I DO love a good pie or tart and Louisa has made this one look so tempting with the addition of sage and onion!
6. Spicy haddock-quinoa chowder by Julie of Life and Chai: I adore quinoa and love how Julie has used it in this chowder recipe with smoked fish. If you fancy a bowl of comfort, this is the recipe for you!
7. Prawn and Coconut Noodles by Bintu of Recipes from a Pantry: What a FABULOUS bowl of deliciousness! I particularly love the use of PURPLE basil leaves in this recipe.
8. Roasted Butternut Squash Soup by Tina of The Spicy Pear: A SIMPLY glorious entry for Cooking with Herbs and I adore butternut squash, so this is a winner for me! Thanks so much!
9. Chickpea Curry with Fresh Dill Leaves by Janet of The Taste Space: Dill adds a fabulous herbal flavour to this recipe by Janet, and is a really tasty looking veggie curry too…….
10. A herby Gammon casserole by Elaine of Fun as a Gran: A delectable herbal casserole with gammon – perfect for the cooler autumn months. Elaine makes this in a slow cooker for an easy and comforting meal.
11. black bean and halloumi Indian curry by Deena of DEENA KAKAYA: What a delectable vegetarian curry, and made with one of my favourite cheeses, Halloumi – this looks amazing!
12. Granny’s Shepherd’s Pie by Choclette of Chocolate Log Blog: An amazing veggie shepherd’s pie that is made with Choclette’s grannies’ secret ingredient, baked beans! LUSH!
13. Pork roulade with prosciutto and sausage by Galina of Chez Maximka: What a fabulous entry this is from Galina, and her hearty dish has some basil in it, which makes it very Italian and deliciously herbal!
14. Aromatic Green Curry by Shaheen of Allotment 2 Kitchen: I adore green curries, they are so fresh and “zingy” and Shaheen’s looks wonderful, just bursting with herbs and Asian flavours!
15. TAPIOCA PEARL BUTTERNUT RISOTTO by Petra of Food, Eat, Love: Such a pretty recipe and Petra makes this risotto sing with coriander, as well as using tapioca.
16. Carrot, Leek and Mustard Seed Soup by Jac of Tinned Tomatoes: What a fabulous looking soup, such pretty colours and using wonderful local seasonal ingredients, from Scotland!
17. Sweet and Sour Tofu and Seitan by Nasifriet of By The way: An imaginative and tasty looking vegan dish which has ginger, garlic, onion and spring onions as part of the herbal ingredients.
18. Glamorgan Sausages by Louisa of Eat your Veg: One of my MOST favourite meals and Louisa has added a goodly amount of parsley to hers for an iron rich meal for her family.
19. Courgette and Mint Soup by Vohn of Vohn’s Vittles: A delectable and tasty winter warmer from Vohn with zingy mint and the last of her glut of courgettes in it…….it looks amazing and such a pretty colour too!
20. Potato, Rosemary & Halloumi Focaccia by Kat of The Baking Explorer: A fascinating post about The Great British Bake Off where Kate highlights the week’s bakes, and offers up her own version of focaccia, that even Paul would be proud of!
21. Courgette and basil soup by Laura of Knead Whine: LOVE the name of Laura’s blog and I also love her entry, which is another comforting soup, with more courgettes….and it is LOW calorie too!
22. Pollo alla diavola, Devil’s chicken by Alida of My Little Italian Kitchen: Alida makes a devilish dish just in time for Halloween and using rosemary for a herbal taste to add to the devilish spices!
23. Rotini Pasta In Broccoli Sauce by Pravina of Indo Global Food: What a lovely entry from Pravina, who is new to the challenge; she has made a quick and healthy pasta dish that is packed with herbs and flavour!
24. Walnut Rosemary & Fruit Loaf by Laura of How to Cook Good Food: An amazing loaf of bread now from Laura, with autumnal walnuts and aromatic rosemary, this would be perfect with a chunk of cheese!
25. Red Hokkaido Squash Soup by Chris of Cooking around the World: A FABULOUS entry from Chris, for a hearty soup using a seasonal vegetable, a red Hokkaida squash, which, is from Japan – maybe Chris travelled there to buy it!!
26. Spinach and Coconut Dal by Jacqueline of Tinned Tomatoes: A fabulous veggie recipe that takes less than half an hour to make and had coriander in it for a classic Asian flavour along with coconut.
27. Spaghetti alla Puttanesca by Elizabeth’s Kitchen Diary: An Italian classic and one of my favourite pasta recipes, and Elizabeth makes hers in some awesome new copper pans!
28. Bottling Tomatoes using the Water Bath Method: Step-by-Step Tutorial with Images & Recipe by Me! Lavender and Lovage: This bottled tomato recipe calls for any glut of garden tomatoes you have available.
29. Pumpkin and Sage Risotto by Tina of The Spicy Pear: What a wonderful recipe Tina has made, such an inventive use of sage with pumpkin…..and I love the idea of using nutmeg too, very festive!
30. Piri Piri Sauce by Gayathri of Spices Galore: I LOVE this next recipe too, it’s a spicy home-made piri piri sauace that knocks the socks of the usual Nando’s version.
31. Baked Beetroot with Local Honey and Thyme by Janice of Farmersgirl Kitchen: One of my favourite ways to cook beetroot is to bake or roast it, and Janice’s recipe looks and sounds delicious, with thyme and honey too for an extra special taste!
32. How to make a simple Bouquet Garni (Recipe) by Me! Lavender and Lovage: An absolute classic seasoning and essential in the kitchen, these little bouquet garni are so easy to make and make wonderful gifts for foodie friends, as well as being a must for the herb and seasoning jar in the pantry.
33. Broccoli, walnut, sundried tomato and basil pesto pasta by Deena of Deena Kakaya: This next recipe shouts out FRESH HERBS and Deena makes it look so tasty and delicious in her recipe photos too!
34. Five-Spice Sausage Rolls (Ngo Hiang) by Nasifriet: What a wonderful recipe for one of my favourite Asian recipes, and with helpful step-by-step photos for ease of making them too!
35. Greek pasta bake by Cheryl at Madhouse Family Reviews: This delicious past bake from Cheryl has oregano and coriander in it, and is the first time Cheryl has used fresh herbs in a dish like this, which is FABULOUS – LOVE IT, another herb convert!
36. Spaghetti with Tomatoes and Swordfish by Katharine at Leeks and Limoni: What a fabulous fishy pasta feast Katharine has made for her entry and with one of my favourite herbs, thyme, so Italian and such a lovely supper dish!
37. Arrancini con pomodoro e salsa di zucchine by Anne at Anne’s Kitchen: Another Italian entry now and this one from Anne is just bursting with flavour and fresh basil leaves, as well as dried Italian herbs, it looks amazing Anne!
38. Green tomato salsa by Sarah of The Garden Deli: I LOVE fried green tomatoes and I love Sarah’s green tomato salsa too….especially with a dash of lime and some lovely cumin to blend with the coriander leaves!
39. Potato and leek soup with hazelnut browned butter pesto by Lucy of Super Golden Bakes: BEAUTIFUL bowls of delightful soup with scones and pesto by Lucy, what an offering for a super comforting Autumnal lunch!
40. (Deluxe Cottage Pie) by Anneli over at Delicieux: A hearty and wonderful way with oxtail and Anneli really does make it look so elegant too! I am a BIG lover of oxtail and am pleased to see that someone else values this humble and cheaper cut of beef.
And the winner for October is……………..Rita of My Little Italian Kitchen and her AMAZING A vegetarian feast: pizza with chargrilled vegetables! I chose this for October, as my mystery judge was away, but I LOVED how Rita added so many vibrant veggies and fresh herbs to this beautiful pizza and it looks and sounds divine, a true feast indeed! Please contact me Rita so I can have your book sent out and a winner’s badge sent over too!
The NEW Cooking with Herbs Challenge for November will be posted on the 30th or 31st October!