A tasty, traditional American style macaroni salad from Pennsylvania Dutch Country, where many Amish people live and work.
A Picnic Recipe for the National Picnic Month of July
Today’s recipe for Amish Style Macaroni Salad, is tasty, traditional American style macaroni salad from Pennsylvania Dutch Country, where many Amish people live and work.
I remember having salads like this at every large gathering I attended when I lived in that area and I love the tangy, piquant sauce as well as all the vegetables that are added. Great with BBQ‘s, Picnics or for Pot Luck Suppers.
Living and working as I did in Pennsylvania, and more specifically in Pennsylvania Dutch country, this recipe for Amish Style Macaroni Salad was inspired by an Amish pasta salad that a friend used to make, a simple macaroni pasta salad packed full of vegetables, eggs as well as exciting seasonings.
Pasta is the thrifty shopper’s friend, and you can buy excellent organic pasta in all major supermarkets and small independent retailers with ease, and today’s salad is one of my very favourite recipes.
Serve this easy to make pasta salad with my recipe for HIDDEN VEG BAKED MEATBALL SUBS, which is is in the style of an American “Meatball Sub Sandwich” and is loved by children and adults alike.
I love picnics, and today’s recipe, as well as the Hidden Veg Baked Meatball Subs is perfect picnic grub. The month of July has been designated as National Picnic Month in the UK, so I am sharing lots of lovely picnic recipes over the next few weeks.
Just to get you in then mood, as well as today’s recipe for Amish Style Macaroni Salad, I’ve also shared some more picnic recipes below, which we all love and enjoy.
Enjoy July and any picnics you may have, and do let me know in the comments below what your favourite picnic food is. Bye for now, Karen
More Picnic Recipes
- Stuffed Picnic Loaf
- Cheese & Shallot Puff Pastry Plait
- Cheese & Lentil Slice
- Easy Cheesy Puff Pastry Sausage Rolls
Cakes for Picnics
- Old-Fashioned Tea Cake Squares
- Manor House Cake
- Rock Cakes (Rock Buns)
- “Cut and Come Again” Farmhouse Fruit Cake
Pin me for Later
Recipe for Amish Style Macaroni Salad
- 450g dried macaroni pasta
- 4 spring onions, trimmed and finely chopped
- 2 red peppers, trimmed, de-seeds and very finely diced
- 2 hard boiled eggs, finely diced
- 2 celery stalks, very finely diced
- 6 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons crème fraiche
- 1 tablespoon American style mustard
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar mixed with 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Boil the macaroni according to the packet's instructions, drain and allow to cool slightly.
2. Make the dressing by mixing all the ingredients together until smooth.
3. Place the macaroni into a large serving bowl and add the rest of the salad ingredients, gently mixing them through the pasta.
4. Add the dressing and mix will, until all the pasta and salad ingredients are coated. Put in the fridge to cool before serving for about 15 minutes. Adjust seasoning to taste before serving.