Skinny Sage & Onion Toad-in-the-Hole is real comfort food, with sausages which are baked along with onions in a sage and rosemary batter.
Slimming World Low Syn Recipe cooked in my Ninja Foodi Grill & Air Fryer
Today’s recipe for Skinny Sage & Onion Toad-in-the-Hole is a recipe that I adapted from the Slimming World website.
This recipe for Skinny Sage & Onion Toad-in-the-Hole is real comfort food, with sausages which are baked along with onions in a sage and rosemary batter.
Serve with lots of fresh seasonal veggies, and some gravy made with handy gravy granules, and you have a hearty family meal.
Omit the herbs if you wish, and add some black pepper, or any other fresh herbs you may have to hand. Parsley and thyme would also work.
I used VERY low fat pork sausages in my recipe, they were under 3% fat. Again, use any low fat or lower in fat bangers you can source locally.
I also used Frylight, which is a low calorie cooking oil, mine was rapeseed oil, but olive oil or sunflower oil will also work too, as in a spray oil.
Finally, I also cooked the COMPLETE Skinny Sage & Onion Toad-in-the-Hole in my Ninja Foodi Grill and Air Fryer. The vegetables were steamed whilst the toad was baking.
I’ll share both cooking instructions for cooking this recipe in a conventional oven, as well as in a Ninja Foodi Grill & Air Fryer.
You can of course make your own healthy gravy, but I did use some onion gravy granules to make my gravy, where you just have to add boiling water.
This meal was devoured by all of us, on a wet and windy stormy day…..and although it is NOT quite the same as a Yorkshire pudding batter cooked in copious amounts of oil it is pretty close.
The flour content is much lower than a standard Yorkshire pudding batter too, but it really does puff up nicely and is extremely tasty.
It’s REALLY easy to make this vegetarian, by omitting the pork sausages and using any plant-based sausages such as Quorn or Linda McCartney veggie sausages.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did, and if you make it, please let me know how it turned out for you.
I’ll be back soon with some more new recipes, both sweet and savoury, naughty and healthy! Have a great day, Karen
NB: Please note that if cooked in a Ninja Foodi Grill & Air Fryer, the cooking times will be less than is stated on the recipe card below.
Syn Values for Slimming World
Toad-in-the-hole Syn value: 5 1/2 Syns with 3 x sausages that are 1/2 Syn each.
OR, 4 Syns with Syn Free Slimming World sausages or Linda McCartney Red Onion & Rosemary Veggie Sausages
Gravy Syn value: 1 Syn per 1 teaspoon of onion gravy granules made up with hot water
More Skinny Recipes on Lavender & Lovage
- Healthy Cajun Chicken Salad
- Coconut, Ginger and Spinach Dhal
- Healthy Turkey Ragu Nachos
- 5:2 Diet & WW Chicken Merguez Meatballs
And, something Skinny and Sweet!
Pin me for Later
Recipe for Skinny Sage & Onion Toad-in-the-Hole
- 12 x very low fat pork sausages, I used Aldi Specially Selected 3% fat Pork Sausages
- Low calorie cooking spray, such as Frylight
- 2 large red onions, peeled and sliced into rings
- 80g plain flour
- 2 level teaspoons baking powder
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon English mustard powder
- 2 teaspoons fresh sage leaves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary leaves, stripped from stalk and finely chopped
- 4 large eggs
- 150ml skimmed milk
- 4 teaspoons onion gravy granules, made up with boiling water to packet instructions
- Pre-heat the oven to 220C/200C Fan/450F/Gas mark 7.
- Arrange the sausages in a single layer in a large non-stick baking or roasting tray, and spray with low calorie cooking spray. Bake for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, turn the sausages over, and add the sliced red onions. Spray with more low calorie cooking spray and cook for a further 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the Yorkshire pudding batter; put the flour, baking powder, salt, mustard powder, and the chopped mixed herbs into a large mixing bowl. Mix well.
- Make a hollow in the centre the flour mixture and break the eggs into the middle, then using a wooden spoon, gradually mix the eggs in, before adding the milk.
- Using a hand held electric mixer, beat all of the ingredients together for 2 to 3 minutes to make a thick, smooth batter. If the batter is too thick, it should be similar to double pouring cream, add a little water.
- Remove the sausages and onions from the oven, spray some more low calorie cooking spray over them and quickly pour the batter over and around them in the tin.
- Return the tray to the oven and cook for a further 20 minutes, or until the pudding batter is puffed up and golden brown.
- Serve immediately with fresh seasonal vegetables and gravy.
Toad-in-the-hole Syn value:
5 1/2 Syns with 3 x sausages that are 1/2 Syn each. OR, 4 Syns with Syn Free Slimming World sausages or Linda McCartney Red Onion & Rosemary Veggie Sausages.
Gravy Syn value:
1 Syn per 1 teaspoon of onion gravy granules made up with boiling water.
Use Quorn sausages or any other plant-based sausages. Check Syn values.
Cooking in a Ninja Foodi Grill & Air Fryer:
Set the Ninja to Bake, 200C for 30 minutes. Add the sausages as soon as it has heated up and cook for 10 minutes. Then add the onion rings and cook for a further 5 minutes, before adding the batter after 5 minutes, and cooking for the remaining 15 minutes. Spray low calorie cooking spray as above in main recipe, at each step.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 272Total Fat 12gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 207mgSodium 724mgCarbohydrates 26gFiber 2gSugar 6gProtein 15g