Scones – Wensleydale Cheese, Leek & Walnut Scones for Tea Time Treats

Wensleydale Cheese, Leek & Walnut Scones

- Scones -

Wensleydale Cheese, Leek & Walnut Scones

for Tea Time Treats

Okay, as most of you know the tea time treats challenge this month is SCONES. Scones, the mainstay of the tea time table……..sweet ones with dollops of cream and fruit jam, dried fruit ones, cherry ones, buttermilk ones…..and then there’s the savoury ones such as cheese, or cheese and chive…..I could live off scones on a daily basis, they are just my favourite baked (non-yeast) quick bread, so easy to whip up and with so many variations. Now, I DO love a sweet scone, especially one that is laden with thick clotted cream with a strawberry jam topping…..but, I am a savoury scone lover too, and to be honest, a cheese scone USUALLY wins over a sweet scone for me.  My favourite cheesy scone is a simple cheese and chive scone, liberally buttered with a slice of smoked ham betwixt its top and bottom, think cheese and ham butty but scone style, sublime!

Wensleydale Cheese, Leek & Walnut Scones

But then I had an idea; having surveyed a couple of lone leeks lounging in the pantry with a jar of walnut halves on the shelf above, I thought why not a cheese scone with leeks? And walnuts too…..a savoury feast in a small package, rather lush I thought….so, I had a little experiment with a basic plain rich scone dough, and it worked! These were JUST fabulous, quite moist due to the sautéed leeks and yet with a nutty texture due to the walnuts, and all bound up in a Yorkshire cheesy heaven. They rose quite high and had a lovely light texture. We had them (well, two each)  for lunch with a small salad, extra walnuts and some more Wensleydale cheese, a vegetarian feast and also very filling……a posh Ploughman’s lunch if you will.

Wensleydale Cheese, Leek & Walnut Scones

I can see these making a nice change for the children’s lunch box, as well as being wonderful when served with soup or a casserole…… So here they are, my entry for tea time treats this month, and I am sure I will be baking many more scones over the next few weeks, for friends and family of course as well as us…….I hope you will try this recipe, if you don’t have any leeks, maybe lightly sautéed red onions would work too……OH NO! I feel another cheese recipe coming on!  I will be back as usual with more pies, fishy dishes and the last of my violet recipes as well as CAKE! Bye for now, see you later, Karen.

Cheese, scones, walnuts and butter......sublime!

Wensleydale Cheese, Leek & Walnut Scones

Serves 8 to 10 scones
Prep time 10 minutes
Cook time 10 minutes
Total time 20 minutes
Allergy Egg
Dietary Vegetarian
Meal type Bread, Breakfast, Lunch, Side Dish, Snack, Soup
Misc Child Friendly, Freezable, Serve Cold, Serve Hot
Region British
By author Karen S Burns-Booth
Delectable cheesy scones with leeks and walnuts - prefect for an afternoon snack or as a light lunch when served with salad and extra cheese.

Ingredients

• 225g self raising flour
  • pinch of salt
  • 50g butter
  • 2 small leeks, cleaned and finely chopped (sautéed in a little butter until soft and cooked)
  • 110g grated/crumbled Wensleydale cheese
  • 1 large egg, beaten
  • 50g chopped walnuts
  • milk (to mix)

Directions

Step 1 Heat oven to 220ºC, 425ºF, Gas Mark 7 and grease a baking tray.
Step 2 Add the salt the the flour, rub in the butter until it resembles fine breadcrumbs and then stir in the sautéed leeks, grated cheese and walnuts, mix well.
Step 3 Add the beaten egg and then add the milk little by little until the dough is soft but not sticky, reserving a little beaten egg or milk for brushing the tops.
Step 4 Knead lightly on a floured surface and roll out to 1 cm (½ inch) in thickness and cut into 6.5 cm (2½ inch) rounds. Re-roll the trimmings and cut more rounds.
Step 5 Brush the tops with egg or milk, add a little extra grated cheese if liked and bake for about 10 to 12 minutes, or until well risen and golden brown.
Step 6 Serve warm, spit and spread with butter. Also lovely served with spare walnuts and a wedge of cheese and salad.

Serve the scones for lunch with a salad, walnuts and a chunk of cheese - Posh Ploughman's Lunch!

Comments

These scones look gorgeous, Karen. I made cheese scones at my cookery class last week and people went mad for them – so simple, but so, so delicious! I’ll have to have a go at your variation!

That is wonderful – that everyone went mad for your cheese scones, I can see why, they are always my favourite in the scone world!

What a fantastic makeover you’ve given the scone! Wonderful. Cheese scones have always been my favourite. Fresh from the oven with melted butter. Will definitely give these babies a whirl.

Thanks Food Sage and may I say how much I love the name, The Food Sage, very clever! I always prefer a savoury scone and cheese and leek with walnuts is a new favourite now. Karen

just stunning… the leek addition is inspired… I just finished writing up my Lincolnshire Poacher scone recipe and they seem so dull in comparison… these are marvellous!

NO I don’t believe yours will be dull Dom, NO WAY! For two reasons, first you are the KING of scone makers, I’ve seen what you have made and second, you used one of my FAVOURITE cheeses, Lincolnshire Poacher, so dull they won’t be I am sure!
      I have to admit that the leek was a nice addition to the scones though!

Oh. My. Goodness. These sound and look amazing. They’re definitely going on the to-bake list. I’ve still got to make my rosemary scones so I can participate this month!

Lovely! My mum makes a rather delicious Stilton and walnut scone but I have to say that a plain and simple cheese scone is one of my favourites. I love the idea of leeks, I use them a lot so I’ll be giving these a go. And I’m hoping to join in with Tea Time Treats this month.

Thanks! Yes, I would love that combo too, a blue cheese (Stilton) and walnut scones! Would love to see your entry if you manage it this month for tea time treats! xx

Karen I’ve used walnuts with fruit in scones , but never with cheese,yours sound and look delicious. Now I’m thinking that the classic stilton, walnut and pear combo might make a great scone! You are always so inspiring:-) Jude x

Thanks Jude, it was a flash of inspiration whilst viewing some leeks lounging in the back room! YUP! Pear, Walnut and blue cheese may work too…..

DO let me know how they turn out Fleur! One tip, make sure sautéed leeks have been drained well, after cooking….other than that, it’s easy peasy!

Karen these look perfect for my breakfast. I can never eat before I get to work so am always looking for things I can take with me and eat at my desk. These are on my list to make.Yummy! I can’t wait to see the full tea time treats list at the end of the month I think you picked such a good challenge.

I love cheese scones and these are the fanciest cheese scones I have ever seen – must add them to my to do list if I can escape the clamours for treacle scones from the rest of the household