Old Cookbooks & Recipes – Be-Ro Dropped Scones for Breakfast (Griddle Cakes)

Dropped Scones (Griddle Pancakes, Scotch Pancakes)

Old Cookbooks & Recipes

~ Be-Ro Dropped Scones for Breakfast ~

(Griddle Cakes)

1950's Old Be-Ro Flour Cookbook

It’s one of those mornings where you fancy something  a little different, not toast and certainly not cereal, but a good old-fashioned home-style breakfast, in the manner of Little House on the Prairie or Enid’s Blyton’s The Famous Five……..something tasty and filling, and so it was that I made some dropped scones for breakfast and my meal plan yesterday. The idea came after I had been perusing some of mum’s old cookbooks; I always love looking at her old tattered and torn Be-Ro cookbooks, as well as her scrapbook of hastily scribbled treats on the backs of envelopes and even library tickets…….any writing space is grabbed when sharing and copying recipes! In her oldest Be-Ro cookbook, there are tempting recipes for “Fancies” and “Jam Cakes” as well as easy to make “Milk Fadge” and “London Buns”.  And although we live in an age where we have access to the most amazing selection of global ingredients, where Balsamic Vinegar, Miso and Sushi rule, the recipe names and photos that fill mum’s old 1950′s Be-Ro cookbook seem to resonate with me, and I am drawn to the naive drawings of “housewives” plying their housewifely trade that are littered throughout the book.

Mum's old Retro Vintage Cookbook by Be-Ro Flour (1950's)

Happy ladies in polka-dotted aprons are busily mixing cakes and rolling pastry, whilst children gaily run and leap around laden tea time tables…….the photos are slightly out of focus and faded and yet that only adds to the charm of the recipe……old fashioned names leap from the pages, suet pastry and steak and kidney pies jostle for position with rock buns and coconut cake……and who couldn’t resist a vanilla slice with a slice of granny loaf?  Brandy snaps and crunchies tempt me, as well as the butterfly cakes, but for a home-style breakfast there can be nothing as nice as a batch of griddle scones, also known as dropped scones, Scotch pancakes and griddle cakes.

Dropped Scones (Griddle Cakes or Scotch Pancakes) Served with Butter and Maple Syrup

These breakfast treats are easy to make and the hardest thing you have to do is to stand at the cooker whilst cooking them on the griddle, flipping them over after 3 to 4 minutes before adding the next batch. I keep mine warm whilst I am cooking them by popping them in a warm oven with some foil loosely covering the plate.  These are just as nice cold, buttered with some home-made jam on them……but the best way to devour these little morsels is to spread them liberally with butter and then douse them with maple syrup or honey…….yup, I know, pretty sybaritic eh?

Dropped Scones (Scotch Pancakes or Griddle Cakes) Served with Butter and Maple Syrup

I am now on a mission to make more fascinatingly simple retro favourites from this 1950′s cookbook……next on my list is a granny loaf and then maybe a batch of London buns or some Victoria scones; I am also going to try the no-yeast quick bread called Milk Fadge, I need to investigate that recipe soon! I may even have a perm, don a spotted apron, wear red lipstick, a twin set and pearls and make my way to a Formica clad kitchen with acres of chrome, whilst wearing a fixed Stepford Wives smile as I happily mix and stir throughout the day.

Hot off the griddle, served with butter and Maple Syrup - Dropped Scones (Griddle Cakes)

I am off out this afternoon to not so sunny Scarborough, but I will leave you with the original recipe as printed in the 1950′s Be-Ro cookbook, and PLEASE do try these out, the addition of the rubbed in margarine or butter makes these dropped scones so light and fluffy. See you later with my tales of Blog Camp and business cards…….bye for now, Karen. PS: I also have some tasty Scotty Brand potato posts planned, as well as my usual Fish Fanatic recipes to share too…….Laters! Karen.

Dropped scones straight off the griddle

Be-Ro Dropped Scones – Griddle Scones

Serves 8 to 12 dropped scones
Prep time 10 minutes
Cook time 20 minutes
Total time 30 minutes
Allergy Egg, Milk, Wheat
Dietary Vegetarian
Meal type Breakfast, Side Dish, Snack
Misc Child Friendly, Pre-preparable, Serve Cold, Serve Hot
Region British
Website Be-Ro
Old fashioned Griddle pancakes, also called Dropped Scones, these are easy to make and make a lovely breakfast dish, tea time treat or a dessert dish.

Ingredients

• 4 ozs (115g) Be-Ro SR Flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 oz (15g) margarine (or butter)
  • 2 ozs (50g) sugar
  • 1 egg (beaten with 3 tablespoons milk)
  • 6 drops lemon essence (or almond or vanilla essence)

Note

Directions

Step 1 Mix flour and salt together and rub in the margarine or butter; then add the sugar, and the egg and milk to make a thick batter. Add essence if using.
Step 2 Cook 2 or 3 at a time by dropping spoonfuls of the mixture on a moderately hot, well-greased griddle.
Step 3 Cook until the underside is golden brown and the top is covered with bubbles, about 3 minutes.
Step 4 Turn and brown on the other side. Serve buttered, hot or cold with honey, jam or maple syrup.
Step 5 N.B A baking griddle should be well-greased, then heated until a little water sprinkled on the surface skips about in balls, evaporating. A heavy cast-iron frying pan makes a good substitute

1950's Retro Cookbook by Be-Ro Flour - Butterfly Cakes & Fancies

1950's Retro Cookbook by Be-Ro Flour - Battenburg Cake

What is your favourite cookbook and how old is it?

Do you like replicating classic recipes and what’s your best recipe to date?

Are you a baking addict and what’s your signature recipe?

Comments

A BIG thanks and lovely to meet you Susie! Let me know how they work out, and put your feet up whilst your wee ones are asleep too! Karen :-)

I love this Karen. I recently found my grandmother’s Be-Ro book too. How cookery books have changed from then to the present day! We love these in our house and are very easy to make gluten free too for my hungry boyfriend on a sunday morning.

2. Jane Willis says

Oh I love that book! My Mum has a copy too, and it reminds me of weekend afternoons learning to bake with her when I was a child.

I have quite a collection of old and unusual cookbooks and my favourite is simply called “Economical Cookery” and was published in 1937. It has 500 pages of recipes, sometimes several to a page, and there are many I use regularlybut the best part is a suggested complete menu for every day of the year. For today it suggests:
    Breakfast – Orange juice, Dried haddok
    Mid-Day meal – Sea Pie, Cabbage. Stewed Rhubarb and Dates
    Evening meal – Hare soup, Sauage rolls, Lemon jelly.

The recipe for Sea Pie is in the book – it is a beef and vegetable casserole topped with suet pastry. Quite where the sea comes into it is a mystery!

I am so pleased to meet someone else who loves this book! I have heard of your book, “Economical Cookery” but have never seen it for sale, in my usual second hand bookshops; but I LOVE the fact that it has a menu facility. Now, curiously, I DO know about Sea Pie and have some notes somewhere that explains why it is called Sea Pie! Will hunt them out and let you know! Karen

You know this one is a huge nostalgia trip for me and pancakes were the first thing I ever made. Interestingly I also have Economical Cookery! It belonged to my gran.

I know what you mean Janice, pancakes or should I say drop scones/Scotch pancakes were also the first thing I made with my mum too….I WOULD love to see more recipes from your economical cookbook! Karen

I do love old cookery books and love to hunt out unusual ones at charity shops, just cannot resist a cookbook! This is a great recipe and I will be making these as a morning treat on the weekend! xx

What a great post! My oldest cookbook is dated 1920 but my favorite one is Mastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia Child, and The Silver Spoon (The bible of traditional Italian cooking) of which I have only Pasta part.

Thanks Marina! How amazing that you have a book from 1920, and also and old Julia Child book too….do you cook from your oldest cookbook?

As my name implies, I am a bakingaddict but I’m not sure I have a signature recipe. Ever since I started blogging, I seem to make new recipes each time as I can’t keep blogging about the same recipe. Sadly I don’t have any old cookbooks but I do love classic recipes – they are classic for a reason :) I must get my hands on a Be-Ro book!

6. Ann Hall says

I have a really old BE-RO book which was probably my grandmother’s – it has no pictures inside other than sepia type photos of the food. The cover has a picture of a little girl wearing an old fashioned school tunic getting ready to bake. I can’t see a date anywhere but it appears to be the 14th edition. I don’t think anyone here in Oz would know what I was talking about if I mentioned having a slice of Granny Loaf! Does it still have a recipe for Sly Cake I wonder?

Hello Ann! LOVELY to meet you, I know that book by the cover you mention….not sure what year that would be, maybe late 1940′s. As for Sly Cake, I DO have a Be-Ro book that has that recipe, so will try to find it and post it on the blog!

Oh wow, my mum has a Be-Ro book that I often flick through, I love it! I have an old Farepack one and often end up baking something from there, it’s just like being back in the kitchen as a little girl with either my mum or my gran. Lovely!

I love discovering recipes from old cookbooks, although I don’t have any from the 1950′s and I’m jealous of your Be-Ro cookbook! These griddle cakes do look delicious, but then I’m a big pancake fan and could eat a sizable stack all on my own ;) And you’re right – I really only make griddle cakes of any kind on special occasions because otherwise I would frequently overeat ;)

THANKS! This cookbook is a REAL little gem and I love all the recipes that are in it, some that you seldom hear about any more.

Looks so yummy! I too love my old cookbooks and have a number of Be-Ro ones that are well-thoumbed. Always reliable and simple. Some of my old WI ones have *lots* of recipes involving suet, which is a bit off-putting. Although I am still off all grains for now (dodgy gut), I am adding this to the growing list of lavender and lovage recipes to indulge in once all is well. I should really stop reading you until that this the case, but I must be a glutton for punishment. Yours hungrily, Kellie x

I am not a suet lover, but I do use low-fat veggie suet sometimes in the Winter for steamed puds, as it gives the texture that is needed. THANKS for your lovely comments though Kellie….I shall visit you soon for FOOD to GLOW! LOL! Karen

I buy my Be-Ro flour at my local Morrisons and Asda in Scarborough Sarah; but my daughter can also get in in St Albans too, at the same supermarkets!

What a fantastic cookbook! The drop scones look amazing.

As you probably know, I’m a bit obsessed with old cookbooks. I probably have more recipes than I could ever possibly make, but that doesn’t keep me from buying more!

11. Miriam says

Lovely dropped scones indeed!

Some time ago I remembered the lovely ‘walnut & icing’ fingers which we used to make at home from the Be-Ro book when I was a child (some 40 years ago). Unfortunately the book was later shredded by our puppy and the recipe was lost. As soon as the thought of those fingers (have no idea what the actual name was) came to me I searched high and low for the recipe on the internet, even on the Be-Ro site, but to no avail. I would really appreciate it if anyone has that recipe which actually looked like some sort of dough with a layer of icing into which some crushed walnuts are sprinkled. Then the whole thing is baked for a few minutes more until the icing becomes golden. The Be-Ro people, although extreemly helpful suggested a recipe which includes chocolate, so it is defiantely not the one!

I am on the case now Miriam! I have about 15 old Be-Ro cookbooks and if you can remember the cover, it would help me look for you…..if not, I will look for walnut iced fingers maybe….I have to admit that I can’t remember seeing that, but feel sure that it may be on one of my old books! Karen

12. Lucy James says

Seems a lot of us delve into Be-Ro for inspiration :-) I too inherited my mum’s copy (couldn’t find an edition no., but “26th million”, so presumably 1950s) which she got from her mum, and I now enjoy trying out the recipes with my 7 year-old daughter! As a girl I used to peruse the back cover, which has a faded colour photo of all the tempting treats, until my mouth watered…

There is something magical about those little old books, they hold far more fascination with me than any modern “posh” cookbook….and I too, remember gazing at the faded photos in my mum and grandma’s old editions of Be-Ro books. Thanks Lucy for your comments, Karen :-)

13. Fiona Matters says

These look fabby. Remind me of my childhood a lot. I have the perfect pan to do these in as well. Maybe do thin pancakes one weekend and these the next – see which I prefer! I have a giant thing of maple syrup at the moment so no worries about running out either… Yum! Shared on twitter.

14. Kathleen Martin says

Hi there,
    Can anyone tell me what edition of the Be-Ro Book had the recipe for quick bread. I made this bread when
    there was a bread strike in Scotland and the bread was in short supply.