[AD] Indonesian Curry with Star Anise Rice: A delicious vegan curry recipe from Hello Fresh, which is easy to make, and is packed with fresh vegetables and fragrant flavours.
*Collaborative Paid Post with Hello Fresh*
A Fabulous Vegan Recipe from Hello Fresh
Today’s recipe for Indonesian Curry with Star Anise Rice is utterly divine and so easy to make too. It’s one of Hello Fresh’s recipes, where you get sent all the ingredients to make a tasty, fresh meal. The ingredients are already measured and weighed out for you, which I think takes the most time when cooking. And, there’s a staggeringly diverse selection of meals on offer.
I’ve used Hello Fresh in the past, and I love the freedom this meal delivery service offers. It’s not just the convenience of having meals delivered straight to your door, but it’s the freshness and quality of the ingredients that they use in their recipes too. And, you can see what meals you will be sent before you order your box.
Hello Fresh asked me to choose a recipe to make, and after perusing a long list of tasty options, I decided on Indonesian Curry with Star Anise Rice. The recipe is inspired by the cuisine of Indonesia, where they use lots of coconuts in their cooking, mainly because they grow abundantly there. As well as having coconut milk in this curry, the recipe is packed with fresh veggies such as courgettes, red peppers, onions and green beans.
The sauce that coats these tasty veg, is hot, sharp and sweet, with a bit of sourness, which is a predominant feature in Indonesian cooking. We have a high tolerance for chilli heat, and would say this is medium, but I think some people might find it a bit on the spicy side, which is what we loved about it! We also loved the addition of fragrant coriander leaves and the crunch of buttery, toasted cashew nuts.
Ingredients for Indonesian Curry with Star Anise Rice
The full recipe is on the Hello Fresh website here, Indonesian Curry with Star Anise Rice, but I’ll share the ingredients and cooking process here, so you can see how easy and tasty this vegan curry recipe really is.
- Basmati Rice
- Star Anise
- Fresh Ginger
- Coconut Milk
- Soy Sauce
- Vegetable Stock
- Red Pepper
- Green Beans
- Yellow Curry Paste
- Cashew Nuts
Cooking Process for Indonesian Curry with Star Anise Rice
1. Boil the water (amount specified in the ingredient list) in a large saucepan over high heat. Add the basmati rice, half the vegetable stock pot and the star anise. Stir to dissolve the stock pot then cover with a lid, lower the heat to medium and cook for 10 mins. Remove from the heat and set aside for another 10 mins. The rice will finish cooking in its own steam.
2. Meanwhile, halve, peel and thinly slice the onion into half moons. Peel and grate the ginger. Halve, then remove the core from the red pepper and chop into 2cm pieces. Remove the top and bottom from the courgette. Cut in half lengthways then slice into 1cm wide half moons. Trim the tops from the green beans and chop in half. Roughly chop the coriander.
3. Put a drizzle of oil in a frying pan on medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until soft, 5 mins. Add the ginger and yellow curry paste along with a pinch of sugar (if you have some) and cook, still stirring, for another minute. Add the rest of the veggies, along with the coconut milk and remaining stock pot. Stir to dissolve the stock pot, then simmer until thickened, 10 mins.
4. While the curry cooks, put another frying pan on high heat and add the cashew nut pieces (no oil). Toast until golden, 2-3 mins. Shake the pan often. TIP: Watch your nuts like a hawk as they burn easily! Remove from the pan and set aside.
5. When the curry is cooked, stir through the soy sauce and add a squeeze of lime juice. Taste and add more lime juice if desired. Fluff the rice up with a fork and remove the star anise.
6. Serve the rice in bowls with a generous portion of Indonesian curry on top. Finish by sprinkling over the chopped coriander and toasted cashew nuts. Enjoy!
Grab a Special Discount Code!
As a special offer, Hello Fresh are offering ALL Lavender & Lovage readers in the UK a special discount code, where you can save a massive 50% on any Hello Fresh meal and then a further 33% off the next 3 meals!
The code is shared below, and just click on this link HELLO FRESH to take you to latest meal boxes, where you can see what the current recipes are.
I love a bargain and this is a fabulous opportunity to have some truly delicious meals delivered to your door, without the hassle of weighing and measuring the ingredients, or going out shopping for them too.
In the meantime, if you fancy making the recipe for Indonesian Curry with Star Anise Rice, just follow this link: Indonesian Curry with Star Anise Rice. And for more recipes, why not check these out:
Let me know if you make any of these recipes and if you use this special discount code too! Karen
Leave a Reply