My recipe for Watermelon Radish and Cabbage Slaw is a really festive and colourful coleslaw, which is perfect with sandwiches, grilled meats and chicken.
Disclaimer: Gifted Watermelon Radishes
My recipe for Watermelon Radish and Cabbage Slaw is a really festive and colourful coleslaw. It’s made with Watermelon Radishes, as well as Spring Onions (green onions/scallions) and Sweetheart Cabbage (Napa cabbage) Dressed with simple, tangy citrus dressing, it keeps in the fridge or a cold pantry for up to 2 days after making.
Watermelon radishes have a short season, so when they aren’t available, then by all means use normal radishes, the taste and colour of the slaw will be slightly different, but it will still be absolutely delicious.
This rather special Chinese heirloom radish, which is part of the Daikon Radish family, hides a surprise inside. When the lovely smooth white and pale green “turnip-like” globes are cut open, they reveal a bright cerise pink centre.
The flavour is milder than other radishes, sweeter and less peppery, and the thin slices look really spectacular in any salad, or slaw. The Chinese word for these radishes is ShinRi-Mei, meaning “beauty in the heart.”, which is easy to see why!
Because Watermelon Radishes have such a short season, mainly September through to mid October, I though it might be handy to add some substitution ideas if you want to make the recipe.
- When watermelon radishes are out of season use normal radishes. There are many other colours of radishes such as purple and white.
- Red cabbage can be used with the sweetheart cabbage when watermelon radishes are out of season for extra colour.
- Chives can be used in the recipe, as well as finely sliced red onions too.
- For more tang, add half a teaspoon of Dijon mustard to the dressing.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and/or chives if desired.
More Slaw & Salad Recipes
I have shared my recipe for Watermelon Radish & Cabbage Slaw below, in a printable card, and PLEASE do let me know if you make it. Also, I’d love to know if you have heard of or have used watermelon radishes in any of your recipes lately. Karen
PIN me for later
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic granules
- 75mls (5 tablespoons) olive oil
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoons cider apple vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 large sweetheart cabbage, trimmed if the root and finely shredded
- 1 small watermelon radish, thinly sliced and the cut into strips
- 6 spring onions, trimmed and diced thinly
- Make the dressing first by adding all of the ingredients to a large jam jar. Screw the lid on and shake vigorously for a minute until the dressing is thick and creamy.
- Add the prepared cabbage, watermelon radish and spring onions to a large serving bowl and mix together with your hands.
- Drizzle the dressing over the slaw and stir to combine with a spoon.
- Cover and set to one side to chill for an hour before serving.
- Serve with as part of a buffet, with cold cuts, grilled meats or chicken.
When watermelon radishes are out of season use normal radishes.
Red cabbage can be used with the sweetheart cabbage when watermelon radishes are out of season for extra colour.
Chives can be used in the recipe, as well as finely sliced red onions too.
For more tang, add half a teaspoon of Dijon mustard to the dressing.
Garnish with chopped parsley and/or chives if desired.